Wollemia nobilis

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by David Adams, Sep 12, 2010.

1. David Adams

David Adams Member

My name is David Adams. I am writing from Campbell River, B.C., right on the 50th paralell. I have had a Wollemia for about three months now and as I am having some really good responses from the plant, I thought I should note my methodology. Others may benefit from or critique my comments.
    -I bought the last available plant from a small nursery in Abbotsford. +-$200 plus shipping to my home.
    -I have housed the plant in a 2' x 4' x 4' plastic greenhouse in an indirect sunlight site.
    -I immediately repotted the plant, knocking off as much as the original soil as possible and repotted it over several large stones to promote good drainage in a new 15" clay pot. I used a commercial sterilized potting soil. People repotting should note the wollemia roots are stiff and brittle, it seems normally, but are still live and vital.
    -I have liberally watered the plant since it was repotted. I use a hydraguage to make sure the plant stays wet. I think the key is the good drainage, rather than limited watering.
    -I have not as yet found the biology of Mycorrhizas for this plant, especially regarding nitrogen fixing, and am still looking for references. I am introducing miniscual amounts of 30-10-10 commercial fertilizer.
    -The plant is responding extremely well. My introductions to watering frequency, sunlit or indirect, and fertilizer have been done gradually with observations to detremine the plant's positive response.
    -The lower half(+_ 2') of the plant has seen better days and the growth is harder and darker in color. The upper two feet is responding well with abundant new growth on most branch tips, even a second generation of the same since I recieved the plant.
    -When the temperature outside in the greenhouse dipped to 10 degrees C, I moved the plant inside. My home is usually around 18-20, and I find it is dryer inside than out so my watering has increased marginally.
    -I think the plant likes to be touched and talked to.

I have two questions at present.
    1) On the lower, harder portion of the trunk, there seems to be some sort of pitch(not pitchy) or serum exuding from several locations. These do not seem to be associated with any trauma, but more spontanious. The color of the pitch is white, seems dry to touch, and has not increased from when first noted. I wonder what this might be?
    2) I have seen pictures of Wollemia and it may be true that there are several varieties in circulation. Some of the photos show fairly slim, but tall and straight trees. Others seem to be more of the shape of a vine maple. Mine is the latter and has develoed a 's' bend in the trunk as well as a second bend seeming to start in the next generation of crown, now showing. Any comments on my observation here will be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

1) - This is resin; it seems to be natural. I've seen it on Wollemias as well.

2) - Nope, just one; all Wollemias (both in the wild and in cultivation) are effectively genetically identical. The variation is due to differences in light exposure, temperature, etc.

3. David Adams

David Adams Member

Thank you very much for a prompt response. I thought the white stuff was some sort of resin, but who knows??
    My plant is a crooked one I suppose. We are co-habitating quite well.
    Thanks again
    David

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here are some photos of one of my Wollemia nobilis. I just got it in July 2011. It is about 10' tall with a 3-1/2" caliper. It does have some damage to the foliage from the winter but it has a lot of new growth.

Attached Files:

5. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

AmazingMaples, that Wollemia planted right next to your house is going to get very, very tall and will have to either be moved or cut down eventually. Do you have plans to move it to a place where it will have more space? It would be a shame to have to destroy it 10 years from now.

6. amazingmaples

Oh. Every year I need fire wood. Then again next year I am tearing down the house.
    Well you can sleep soundly knowing that one of the largest Wollemia in north America is safe and sound in a container so I can move it around my yard.

7. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Ah, very smart. Phew! You had me worried there... It is a beautiful specimen you have. Bravo.

8. neobb

neobb Member

Hi Lori,

Just curious, how big are the ones you were selling a few years ago?
    Do you have some planted around your nursery?

Thanks!

I have kept mine in a pot. It's only about 3 feet tall.

Best,
    Ted in Vancouver.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Ones planted in the ground in Snohomish probably would have gotten badly frosted by now. I have seen what I took to be frost burning of new growth even on plants in northern coastal California. They did grow past it, but cold periods are liable to be longer and more severe up here.

10. amazingmaples

This Wollemia is planted in Everett, WA at one of the highest points which tends to get a lot more snow than some of the other areas around the Puget Sound. here are photos of the tree taken today. We even had snow a couple days ago. I find the tree is looking better this year than it had the year before when it was living down in Oregon.
    I do know from talking with the people at the Miller garden in Seattle that they had seen some damage from the cold on their Wollemia in years past. i have not spoken with them this winter to see how their three faired.
    One note, i replanted mine a few months back. I think the tree in an older form is pretty hardy. The three I have are some of the original trees brought into the US by National Geographic which have been in Oregon back i guess the 1990's.
    My other two also look great. I had them in containers close to my house and out of the winter wind.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      207.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      158.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      135.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      221.5 KB
      Views:
  11. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

amazingmaples, are you going to collect seeds? I hope I will be able to do that too from mine in a few years:

PB150448.jpg

12. amazingmaples

Hi Danc

I will not collect seeds since I stay away from propagating. I can say thet i the near future there will be several growers in the USA with the tree available. I figure in about 10 years it will be found for sale at even the box stores.

13. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Hi Amazingmaples, I think I would still be fascinated with propagating, even though I had such great a collection as you have. Thanks for sharing photos with your awesome plants

14. amazingmaples

Here is my wollemia after a spring snow.

Attached Files:

15. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've seen one only about 3' tall - if that - for sale recently, in a wood box: about $450.00 US. Friends that used to be in the industry think it would have come from Iseli.

16. amazingmaples

Ron

If you drive up the road a few miles you can see one of iseli's 15" box Wollemia but I want more than you mentioned for it. I have sold a few of them in the Seattle area. I also have one of the largest ones in North America for sale. It is one of the original trees Iseli received years ago. It is one of about fifteen they sold a year ago.
    I do know there is some for sale in California but they are much more stretched in their growth. This is a bit of a concern for me since the truck of the tree is not strong and the top blows off very easily. As it was Iseli had to dispose of some old trees since they were too damaged.
    The tree seems to grow pretty fast. I am sure in a few more years there will be a good supply of the tree