White-flowered unknown

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by paion, Jun 18, 2006.

1. paion

paion Active Member 10 Years

Could someone please help me indentify this plant? It's growing in a bed where I've recylcled a lot of seed compost, so I've probably intended to grow it and forgotten all about it. The plant has alternate leaves and is around 25cm tall, the off-white flowers are 1,2cm long with 5 purple stamens.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. paion

*Bump*

This one is driving me crazy, I really should know the names of all the plants growing in my own garden... It's presumably a perennial in zone 7, it's too early for annuals to be flowering. Any suggestions will be appreciated, I can't even figure out the family.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I had a go at it last night briefly. I immediately considered Acanthaceae until I saw that it had alternate leaves. I'll pass it around to a few folks here.

4. paion

Thanks Daniel, I appreciate the help!

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Three of us have had a look at it, no luck so far - any other clues? Any smell in the crushed foliage?

6. paion

I posted this on GardenWeb as well, and with a lot of help from carol23 I think I may have the correct genus :-) Physochlaina looks very close, and the plant does have the "fleshy feel" of a Solanaceae. I can't remember sowing it, but a lot of my seeds are from exchanges and it wouldn't be the first time something was misidentified.

Thanks again for looking, I would never have gotten this on my own!

7. Daniel Mosquin

That's actually the genus that David Tarrant came up with, but we weren't able to find an exact match.

8. paion

Please send my thanks to David Tarrant as well, it's great to have confirmation!