Whidbey Island WA, USA Native orchid but which one?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by SunniDaze, Sep 1, 2022.

1. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

This beauty survives in spite of my nephew mowing over it for the last several years. I thought orchids were delicate. Anyway, I haven't seen it bloom. (Can't imagine why! *eyeroll) It's in our way-back yard, "the park" settled happily in the morning shade of a Rowan and afternoon shade of a tall pine. I have to be careful I don't step on it when I head for our picnic table! Captured this July 7 2020. Thanks in advance, y'all!
    forest20.jpg orchids001a.jpg orchids001b.jpg orchids001c.jpg orchids001d.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Goodyera.

3. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

Thank you!!

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What a beautifully mottled specimen of Goodyera oblongifolia! You can see why it's nicknamed 'Rattlesnake Plantain'. It needs a mycorrhizal partner so is not (in my experience) easy to establish. I'd certainly treasure that patch of yours and make sure it doesn't have to cower from a mower anymore.

5. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

Thank you! It is a beauty!!! I've put little fences around it from tiny pickets to creative driftwood. Nephew is a manly man, bless his heart, and those flowers are in his way. I just shake my head and smile. I'm grateful he does the mowing!! And love my orchids even if they stay mown!! I'm just gobsmacked they've made it this many years!!