which bush is this?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by vicarious1, Apr 29, 2023.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    This has been growing in our garden rockery for 13 years it's only 2feet tall. It seems to have gained in bushiness only in the last two years. Before it was only like two twigs.
    It creates the most beautiful tiny flowers in spring.
    Very sadly we will have to move end of this year after creating this garden as the landlords greed to rebuilf has evaporated his promise to rent as long as we are willing to pay.
    I wonder can I move it out it into a pot like a Bonzai?
    Also general question. To prepare for a move. Is it better to start potting as much as I can before the summer or after the summer in autumn?
    Thank you so much for any input we are in North Burnaby. With these prices now I don't know where we're are going to end up. Hopefully to find any kind of older home with a garden to be given an upgrade from scratch I don't mind.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Wild guess...Boykinia?
    Very pretty plant.

Sorry to hear of your forced relocation, vicarious. Wow, that is harsh news.

I say give the bonsai idea a go: the plant's chances with you are far better than they will be with the landlord!

As for repotting, depends on the plants, but doing it now would give them some time to adjust before the bigger move.

Good luck with finding a pleasant (and affordable) new home.
    Keep us posted!

3. vicarious1

Hello
    Thanks for your kind words.
    I looked up so the pics of boykinia and the leaves don't match. My plant
    Had more the feeling of a bush/tree
    As flowers are along the woody branches..
    They say they are nine types in this family.
    My leaves nearly look like Japanese
    Maple each leaf has like a sawtooth shape..

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I wonder if it could be a type of spirea? There are some that have simple flowers like those in your photo. Just a thought.

5. vicarious1

Hello I wish it was. They are so pretty.
    The thing is when we moved here this garden was a nothing. In the beginning I was obsessed with putting most things in pots du WE could love on.
    Then as years we grew more confident as the landlord assured us "as long as you pay in time" you can stay for ever.
    Funny thing is, he's from a village in Hong Kong where I used to live 2kl from for over twenty years and I am Austrian. So what a coincidence.. Isn't it. We always had a great relationship he bought his whole family for a garden tour until a few years ago. Asked me for advice on his garden and invited us etc.. and now this.
    How can one move all this?
    Anyone who knows anyone with an old home that's need a new garden pls. Let us know. We always sign yearly leases and are very attentive to house etc. And take care of most things ourselves. Boy the type to call a landlord for small matters.
    It's very very demoralizing..
    I have to make one just pretty garden although I don't really have the mood.
    Why did this pretty plant/tree/bush take 15 years to grow 2feet only. Haha
    That's the question also.
    And at the same time my standard hydrangea of ten years died out right this winter 1foot next to it.
    Mmmh let's see if someone can pin point the reply.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my little quest. Made several pen or net pals all over the world on this forum. One is the Swiss daughter of a man who was one of the best known landscaper/gardener for most big mansions in Melbourne Australia of all places.

Attached Files:

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Heartbreaking.
    Your landlord's betrayal of the trust you had grown to have in him is appalling.
    Demoralizing indeed!
    Perhaps it is a good thing that I live far away from this individual...there are a few (ok, several) choice words I would like to have with him!

Ran a glance over property listings in the Burnaby area and YIKES! Short of winning the lottery or having a captive wish-granting genie, how does a real human being even begin to approach these prices?
    Was looking at offerings in link below...yes, I do realize that most are distant from your current location, but maybe worth casting an eye over. At least these prices give a glimmer of hope.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/b-house-for-sale/british-columbia/fixer-upper/k0c35l9007

As for your bush, I am certain that one of our members will know what it is. Surprising that it has not already been IDed!

Sending my best and strongest thought vibrations your way---that you and your new home will find one another and all will be well, with you and with your plants.

Margot and Silver surfer like this.
  7. vicarious1

Thank you so much for your positive reply.

8. DerekK

DerekK Active Member

I would agree with Margot that your pictures seem to indicate one of the Spireas. The picture in the link below looks to be a good match. Your description of the seemingly slow growth though doesn't really match most Spireas in my experience. Even 'dwarf' versions can grow much larger than what the label says..."slow growing to x feet" is like a challenge to some plants and shrubs. Perhaps you have one of those plants that can't read labels and has done the opposite! Not a very scientific explanation just common everyday garden experience.

I would agree that whatever it is it would be best to take the time to dig and pot up your plants and give them plenty of TLC in the next few months rather than a hurried digging as your moving day approaches. At least in a worst case scenario you could sell/gift plants to other gardeners that would care for the plants rather than leaving them to the wrecking ball.

Good luck with your move. Hope it all works out for you.

PlantFiles Pictures: Spiraea,Thunberg's Meadowsweet, Thunberg Spirea 'Ogon' (Spiraea thunbergii) by mickgene

wcutler and Margot like this.
  9. vicarious1

Hello thank very much. Hehe love you sense of humor about the plants reading abilities .. Brilliant.
    Gosh I need an entire store of cheap pots.
    Our ornamental seems to show a sign of life.
    Thanks fellow gardeners. Love this forum even if I don't say much. I am not the knowledge type just have green fingers I have been told and found out gardening friend are the most sincere in our fickle society.
    I made several solid friends just adopting plants over freecyle dot org like now 8feet rododindron etc .

DerekK likes this.