When and where to plant a Monkey Puzzle Tree?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by SAH, Feb 20, 2007.

1. SAH

SAH Member

I just received a small Monkey Puzzle Tree as a gift. It is 13" tall right now (Feb 20, 2007) and obviously inside in a pot. I have a few questions which I have been unable to find within other threads. I live in the Lower Mainland of BC.

1) What would be the ideal time to replant him outside? Now, March, April, June, July etc.

2) How far away from the house should he be planted? I have a spot in a large planter (made of landscaping bricks about 20' in diameter)that is elevated above the grass line however it is about 15 to 20' from the corner of the house. Too close? Okay?

3) I have read about lots of problems with soil and the trees not lasting very long. Is there anything I could do (ie. dig out a large area and put the appropriate soil back in) to prevent this from happening?

4) If I have him in the house for the next while (depending on question #1) where is the best place to put him and how much does he drink?

Sorry if these questions sound trivial but I am very new to this and don't want my little Monkey Puzzle Tree to die on me.

thanks

sah

2. SAH

SAH Member

bump

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Plant now, as long as the ground is not frozen.

Best to keep it at least 10m from the house, the branches can get quite long as the tree matures.

"Is there anything I could do (ie. dig out a large area and put the appropriate soil back in)" - no, just plant it straight into the natural soil. Make sure that any roots coiled at the bottom of the pot are uncoiled and spread out fully at planting (coiled roots left in the ground are a commoner cause of future failure).

If the soil is frozen, keep the tree cool (above freezing, but below 10°) and moist (but not soaking wet) until the ground thaws.