In The Garden: What tree is this?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by sea, Jun 20, 2013.

1. sea

sea Member

Port Coquitlam , BC: it is blooming right now with white flowers. I need to prune this plant (bush or tree) but don't know what it is. Would appreciate your help... :(

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. sea

sea Member

thanks a lot for your version, at least something...

will try to identify to which variety of philadelphus this plant belongs...

problem is that my plant looks rather as a multi-trunk tree, and its new stems grow not from the ground level - but from the old trunk about 5-10" above the ground :( If I cut the old trunks, I'll cut the young ones sitting on the old ones too...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  4. Scottmcm

Scottmcm New Member

Wow, impressive. I would not trim it back unless you don't like the wonderful flowers. If necessary, thin it out by removing branches from the base that are causing the plant to droop into its wilted vase form. Looks like a mock orange or beauty bush that I had. Trimming the mock orange like a hedge devastated it in my case. For the beauty bush was thinned in the manner I explained above and it has performed great, training more upwards and creating larger canopy at the top. Also, if you are going to trim it back I would recommend doing that when it is dormant. Remember, trimming the end of branches makes a plant grow thicker (making you problem worse) while trimming at the sides or in this case the base will make the plant grow taller on the remaining shoots. Judging by the pictures you are not the first person to have tried to trim that organism back by taking a trimmer and cutting back the drooping shoots, thereby making more and more of those advantageous shoots to appear from the base of the plant.

5. sea

sea Member

so, you suggesting to thin the tree out in Feb.-March and cut to the ground some stems that are the longest, right? But the worse looking stems are the oldest ones... I just don't know if I may cut them as all the young stems grow from them above the ground... I don't know if the tree will survive till next spring if I do not thin it out right now. I had to cut a few young stems already as they were black (leaves were looking sticky) with some insect eggs (I guess). I even saw one tiny white caterpillar between these black stuff. I really worry about this tree. We bought this house last summer, and as a person who never took care of a garden before (my parents or grandparents would do that), I missed the season for prunning the plants... Magnolia tree, lilac trees, this unknown body - I had to clean them in Feb.-March, but exactly in Feb.-March I was preocupied with giving birth to my second son and only had time to trim a few bushes in the backyard and in front of the house. I made some research and decided that I can trim the mentioned tree after the flowers are dead. So, I was really going to thin them out and trim now. You think that I should definitely wait till the next spring?

6. Scottmcm

Scottmcm New Member

You don't have to remove all of the new stuff. Just trim some of the branches that come off the new stuff. This is the same as thinning it at the base. You should trust your personal judgment on what to take off. I just would not trim the entire top of the plant because that will just make it get thicker. The plant looks pretty darn health in the pictures. Those types of bushes may even tend to shed the older branches in the middle, they just get old and die. I would thin out the middle (some old some new) then trim up the younger healthier branches (cutting off stuff as you go up the stem) that you think are making your garden look over crowded. I trim stuff all year long, however, I usually hurt stuff I trim if it is too hot and not actively growing. Personally I would trim it now like I explained and definitely treat for the insect problem.

7. sea

sea Member

Thanks a lot for your advice. Gonna buy a small saw (for the old trunk) and work on this bush when the flowers are dead...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  8. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Can't say for sure without seeing a picture of them but I strongly suspect your "insect eggs" are aphids. Philadelphus is very prone to aphids attacks. Cutting young stems infested with aphids is a very drastic approach, people usually just remove the insects.

As for the entire plant, I agree with Scottmcm that it "looks pretty darn health in the pictures" and "impressive. I would not trim it back unless you don't like the wonderful flowers".
    If it bothers you how it looks at the bottom (it looks ok to me) why not to plant some perennials at front to hide that.

9. sea

sea Member

You're absolutely right - black stuff is aphids. Stems I cut were very young (almost green), completely covered with black stuff (millions of them - not the adult insects, but their larvae I guess). I sprayed the rest stems with an appropriate pesticide.

There is no light between stems, they rub each other, bark of the oldest ones is dry and cracked. The branches are too long, they leave no sunlight for the 2 Hydrangea bushes growing under the philadelphus...

I just don't dare thin my Philadelphus and lilacs and prune my magnolia now, in June... Maybe it is safer to do that in March...

Thank you for your advice!

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Just do a web search for remarks on how to prune this shrub or look in some pruning manuals. The general routine with cane growers like this is to cut out some of the oldest, least vigorous stems and leave the rest in place. If you over-thin it it will fall open.

11. sea

sea Member

Thanks for another kind advice. I have read a few articles and watched several videos on how to prune and thin bushes like that, but watching is different from doing. To wait, or not to wait till next spring, that is the question.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013