Wall Mart

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Millet, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

What is going on with all this Wal Mart advertisement?? I HATE WAL MART. Advertisements ruin the UBC forum. How does a person get rid of them so, they can enjoy this forum? - Millet

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What ads? Have you checked for the presence of adware/spyware on your machine.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

When I click to change threads, or to another forum on UBC, a full page Wal Mart advertisement appears. When I sign on the UBC screen says, please take a moment to visit our advertisements. This only happens on the UBC Forum.- Millet

4. Junglekeeper

Interesting. Which browser are you using? I wonder if it's related to the vulnerability mentioned in this article. I'm using Firefox and have not noticed anything usual. If possible, could you move this thead to the Forum Info and Feedback forum as others may be experiencing the same problem.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This is a strictly non-commercial site, an ad popping up while using it is a sign of a problem at your end.

6. Junglekeeper

True but let's not discount the possibility of an infection on the webserver.

7. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

If you know the address of the pop up you should be able to block it through security in internet options. Might be worth a try. Popups are VERY annoying!
    Margaret

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I knew when I said "at your end" that would be too targeted. The point is there shouldn't be any.

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are never any ads on this site (unless they are for UBC garden - and we don't have those yet - maybe if we ever get an online shop...).

Infection of the web server can be ruled out, as it would affect everyone - and it is quite locked down.

Check your PC for spyware and malware.