Unknown Shrub, Corm (?) , Rhodo

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MXB, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MXB

MXB Active Member

Hi,
    1) Shrub (leaf/fruit and trunk pictured in first 2 shots) is growing in a south east location in Gibsons BC. It's about 10ft wide and 7 feet tall.

I've checked the native plant books I have and can't definitively I.D. it

Any ideas?

2) The corm (?) in picture 3 is weird. Dug it up while trying to rid a bed of Lysmachia (grr)....would love to know what it is.

3) Rhodo....pic 4...hasn't flowered yet. I know this is a nightmare field as there are so many varieties but on the offchance you know this particular one, please let me know. it's habit at the moment is very straggly. I'm happy for it to stay that way if thats how it's supposed to be but if it is a compact one in the wrong aspect, I'll happy prune it/move it.

Many thx

MXB

Attached Files:

2. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

the corm is a Cyclamen, I think

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cotoneaster rehderi. The rhododendron is getting too much shade from the overhanging conifer to produce an attractive plant habit. This lack of adequate exposure may also be interfering with flowering.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Agree with David in LA, it is a cyclamen. What a shame you accidentally dug it up. The tiny round blobs are the seed capsules. It must have been very happy where you had it to flower so well. Please replant it ASAP.

P.S. Our Cyclamen hederifolium are flowering now, so suspect your cyclamen is C.coum. With us it flowers in December and January, and at the moment in dormant. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008