Unknown honey scented perennial

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by JCardina, May 13, 2009.

1. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    Hi all, we bought this plant a year ago when it was in bloom at a nursery because it had a very strong honey scent. There was no tag and in our hurry we forgot to ask what it was.

I've tried searching for it but apparently there are a *lot* of plants described as honey scented.

I vaguely recall someone saying it's name was "purse" something but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the blooms nor can I recall what they looked like, I think they were very small. However I have a fresh picture of it taken recently. It died back to the ground here in zone 7 though we had a very harsh winter and has come back nicely in the last few weeks much bigger than before. Any help appreciated.

For scale purposes the plant in the attached image is about 1 foot square in area and about 5 inches high.

The very large high res picture can be seen here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23716568@N00/3529084831/sizes/o/

(yes those are plastic forks, knives and spoons in the background, they make excellent cheap garden markers :) )

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Try Lady's mantle, Alchemilla mollis.

3. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    That's the one! Thank you Chimera. No sites mention the honey scent, I wonder if it's some unusual cultivar or something. Oh well, good to pin it down. Cheers!

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Good, it's interesting how the water beads up on that plant, sure noticable in the flickr photo.

5. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

FYI......Lady's Mantle it is, I have 2 plants growing in my shade garden and 1 in full sun, I love them best just before send up there flower stem, once the flowers are done I like to trim them off, and transform the plant to it's dome shape. They require a fair amount of space, mine 1st one is already 2 feet wide and it's only 5 years old, I've seen them well over 4 feet in our hot spot of Nova Scotia, the Annapolis Valley where they cover many front yards. They will start from seeds as well as I found out, I'm pulling 3-4 seedlings out every year.

6. Trevi

Trevi New Member

I know this thread is many years old, I have just come across it whilst trying to identify a plant in my garden which fits your description, especially strong honey scented flowers. I have found that Mine is a Crambe cordifollia. It has a spread of about 5 ft, height nearly 3 ft and throws up a mass of small white honey scented flowers in a ball about 2 ft across. I am not aware of Alchemilla having honey scented flowers, so you may like to investigate this possibility.
    Good Luck

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You mean the possibility of getting honey-scented flowers by trying Crambe cordifollia? I just saw that name at a garden yesterday, and here it appears again.

It's not what was pictured at the start of this thread, though (not sure whether you meant that or not). Note the way the veins are arranged on the leaves, and the accordion pleating, and as chimera notes, the beading of the droplet of water on the leaf surface. That is Lady's mantle, Alchemilla mollis.

8. Trevi

Trevi New Member

Hi,
    I meant that Crambe cordifollia may be an answer to investigate. I could only see the small photo and could not quite tell what the leaf structure or size of the plant was, but the Crambe has a very strongly honey scented flower, the scent will fill a large area. I acknowledge that water droplets do not tend to sit on the leaves in the same way as on Alchemilla.

Regards