Unknown bean from Mauritius

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by hippobroma2, Dec 23, 2019.

1. hippobroma2

hippobroma2 Member

I found several of these beans lying on the ground in Mauritius where they had been discarded by a workman, I suppose. The longest one is about 44 cm. The pod contains small light brown seeds, each in its own compartment separated by a hard membrane. The dark brown paste surrounding each seed tastes sweet, like carob. At first I thought they were carob, but on checking online when back home I see that carob is a wrinkly bean, not smooth. Can anyone identify this bean? Sorry, don't know which tree they came from, so no leaves or bark.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You mentioned "separated by a hard membrane". I have two photos from a Cassia (no label - I didn't guess the species) showing the membranes at Cassia_HonoluluZoo_Cutler_20150128_151844 and the following photo. I also have photos of pods of Cassia abbreviata (that one's a maybe) and Cassia grandis among photos here: Search: cassia | Flickr.

6. hippobroma2

hippobroma2 Member

Thanks so much to everybody who replied, it certainly appears to be Cassia fistula. This agrees with some photos I took at another site on the island, although
    no pods were present on that tree so I didn't connect them. Very grateful for your help.