Unidentified conifer

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Daniel Mosquin, May 21, 2002.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email, from France:

I have a question about a tree. We have a tree, and don't know its name. We searched everywhere, but the needles are different from the pictures we find.

It seems a Picea , but the pineapple (cone) stands like a candle, they don't hang like other trees. The needles are planted all around, segments of ± 5 cm.

I hope you understand my English, for I am a Dutch, living in France. The tree is in France, planted 1918, outline 2.60 metres, high 30 metres.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Picture of the cones:

Attached Files:

3. Daniel Mosquin

Picture of a branch:

Attached Files:

4. Daniel Mosquin

David Tarrant, one of UBC Botanical Garden's plant experts, has identified this plant as Abies pinsapo, commonly known as Spanish fir or hedgehog fir.

Keith Rushforth's book, Trees of Britain and Europe mentions that the plant is native to southeastern Spain, in the mountains around Ronda. He also states, "This species is unusual in the nearly perfect radial foliage arrangement."