unidentified climber/rambler .. ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by grdnstff, Dec 29, 2007.

1. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

does anyone have any ideas about what this rose might be named? .. i bought it for $5.00 on an out of season sale table .. it has a slight fragrance, but that may change once it gets its feet firmly planted .. the pictures show it in last year's bloom time .. early summer .. thanks ..

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

send your ask to the link roseto fineschi old rosetum in Italy that have over 8000!!!rose in collection.. is avaible english version...

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly 'Albertine' if it blooms only at that time of the year.

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

maybe "New Dawn"....

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6. grdnstff

wonderfull, thanks for your input .. ron, that's what i thought, too, that it's not 'new dawn' .. this is something else .. thanks for the site, i will check it out .. and, thanks, to you too, alex .. i will check that site out as well .. sounds like a pretty wonderfull place! .. i'll be back to this later on ..

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Looks like the climber, Blossomtime. It's a virtual once blooming rose. It has been reported to have the occassional repeat blooms late in the season, but the one my neighbour grows has never had a single repeat bloom in the last 11 years. The unusual color of the stems (in different hues of maroon), somewhat loose form of the blooms and the darker reverse colour of the petals are constant characteristics of this rose. The petioles of the leaflets also show a maroon colour, and this colour often extends into the proximal midrib. The prickles (thorns) are similarly coloured, and are hooked with a broad base.

Here is a picture of my neighbour's Blossomtime.

21Sep06048Large-1.jpg

8. grdnstff

hello, wg, i appreciate your input as well .. i did look at the site for blossomtime, and it looks very close to who's growing on my fence, although in some of the photos it is definitely pinker .. i thought that might be, in part, that this rose was planted last year, and may take a bit to get well rooted and then start putting out stronger, perhaps larger, blooms .. thank you ..

9. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Don't stop looking. The problem with rose identification is that there are close to 30,000 varieties. Some of them are very close to each other in terms of appearances and growth characteristics. I can only suggest an answer based on what I have seen. If you see another Blossomtime in real life, and you don't think it looks like your rose, then, yours isn't Blossomtime.

10. grdnstff

hi, wg .. yes, i'll keep looking .. i realized when i started this that it could be a long process in finding the answer .. so far, blossomtime is the closest i've come .. and, really, i'm not sure i need to know the answer, but am enjoying exploring the possibilities .. thanks