tree and associated leaves ~ too rough for rescue?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Grooonx7, May 23, 2013.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Today I brought home an abandoned-beside-a-dumpster tree, or what is left of a tree. It is a terrifically hacked 6-foot trunk with roots, and greenery around the roots.

It was in an alleyway in Vancouver's West End. It is currently residing in a bowlful of water in the bathtub, whilst I decide its name and its future.

Around its base are rather interesting leaves, which I first took to be a pea of some sort; not part of the tree. But there seem to be no tendrils, and it almost looks as though they are really part of the tree.

Maybe so; or maybe no. The roots and earth and these leaves are a pretty messy tangle. I'm hoping you can venture an opinion before I harass this horrendously hacked plant any further.

Do I have too lost souls here, or just one? And what are their names—or what is its name?

And, is there any hope for this tree? Considering the ghastly hack-job on the stem, should I cut the stem to half its 6-foot height? (The picture with my hand behind the massacred end shows the top of the main stem, as it is now.)

All thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Thank you, Saltcedar.

Now, something I don't know how to do: how to catch the attention of folks who might tell me how to care for my new Caragana. I don't think I'm supposed to re-post. Well, I'll try a cross-reference, and, Moderators: sorry if I get this wrong.