The leaf

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Margot, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

My neighbour showed me this leaf, thinking maybe I could identify it. I can't. It is from a young tree that self-seeded in his garden. After some research, he wonders if it could be Quercus muehllenbergii (Chinquapin Oak). Theoretically, squirrels could have planted the acorn off a tree growing somewhere nearby. From what I read, Q. muehllenbergii would be a good choice for gardens in this area since it is said to prefer dry, rocky sites.

If you have some thoughts about its identity, we'd love to hear them.

upload_2020-11-25_17-51-38.png

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2020
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Something like the much planted Q. rubra (or another horticulturally familiar species in the red oak alliance) would be much more likely than that one. It would of course be a lot better if you could see more than a single leaf from a presumably immature plant (lacking fully characteristic leaves) - including whatever source tree might be visible in the vicinity.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Thank you @Ron B. I've passed your comments on to my neighbour who, I have no doubt, will grow this tree indefinitely in a pot or in the ground. (Not like we don't have enough native Garry Oaks here already.)

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd agree with Quercus rubra, looks just like the seedlings I've seen of that. The lobes are bristle-tipped, so if not Q. rubra, then it has to be one of the other closely related red oak group. Q. muehlenbergii can definitely be excluded, that's one of the white oak group and doesn't have the bristle tips.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Picking up from Margot’s comment above - and -

Knowing how precious the indigenous “Garry oaks” are to coastal SW BC and up to Sumas and Yale BC —

Do other nursery plant oaks compete or introduce health risks to our BC native Garry oaks?

Do they take over?

I wonder why one cannot buy a Garry Oak at the retail plant store nursery .

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Georgia Strait likes this.