The disease killing Europe's plane trees

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Junglekeeper, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. anza

anza Active Member 10 Years

The description under the photo at the top of the article really says it all.

As usual, human error, stupidity and ignorance motivated by selfishness and greed is usually behind such natural catastrophies. Nature should never be given the blame. That's why even since the 2008 economic crisis when Oil prices shot through the roof, the world woke up to newer marketing strategies of pimping Eco-Solutions. Nothing wrong of course with eco green solutions/ideas, but as pointed out in a recent report over here in CNN Europe of such products, 95% of them were nothing of the sort. It's simply the colourful fluff of marketing strategies of Advertizers to push more consumer goods which as usual taxes our planet's natural resources.

What we need are every man, woman and child on Earth to be on the same page when it comes to responsible behavior. Given mankind's history, don't count on this anytime soon. The quote at the top of this post references the consequences of WWII, but even after the devastation brought about by WWI, things such as Spanish Influenza reared it's ugly head globally as a result of human error. Under the present failed world leadership and misguidance, I think you can count on many more sad articles that "JungleKeeper" brings to the News Room.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

To be fair one must look at this in perspective. In the midst of a world war with the entire free world at stake, I doubt many were thinking about the potential impact imported wood may have on the environment. Also, I suspect awareness of environmental issues back then is not what it is today.

By the way I post articles that I think may be of interest to others. There is no selection criteria in play - news is news, be it good, bad, or otherwise.

4. anza

anza Active Member 10 Years

Yes, that has been mankind's problem for centuries. I don't think the environment has ever really been taken into consideration. Though you mention War and Freeworld justifications for the war in the first place and environmental conditions being the last thing on folks minds, but surely there were other circumstances when various European powers were playing the Empire building world dominance games few centuries ago, New World country by country which fell had it's resources exploited and of course so-called freeworld peace wasn't an issue. Well, maybe it was for the multiple indigenous peoples who were being conquered for no other reason than they were view as inferior species who occupied land belonging to Europe.

But, even still, today there is far more knowledge of how ecosystems work and much more exposure of ecosystem damage being done on a global scale. Yet with all this enlightenment and modern day knowledge, we are even in deeper doo doo than at any other time in history when we were suposedly ignorant of such consequences. Added to our problems in mismanagement we have this present increase in intensity of natural disasters such as droughts, floods, earthquakes, sunamis etc(adding to that present wars and conflicts distroying entire cites and infrastructure) , the vast amounts of damage being done requires rebuilding and that requires more and more natural resources.

Sorry, wasn't meant as a slam. I enjoy the posts you put up. I'm perhaps speaking out loud emotionally of things dear to my heart. Again, I only mentioned the negatives as I believe more and more of that type of News will become more and more prevalent as time goes on.