Since I destroyed the lawnmower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tsiya, Mar 27, 2004.

1. tsiya

tsiya Member

I've just been keeping a small area around the house cultivated. Spring has new things coming up all over.
    I have not been able to find this one. The photo is more than full size, the flowers are about 3/8".

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Where in the world is this? It's a member of the mint family, certainly.

3. tsiya

tsiya Member

After Asking The Question

I learned that it is Stachys floridana, Florida Betony, and is a member of the mint family. Tripped over it all My life, just now took a good look! I hope I do not live too far away from Your baseline for this forum. I recognized a great knowledge base here and decided to visit without it occurring to Me that most of You are a long way from My Swamp. tsiya

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We encourage questions and discussion from around the world, so please participate as much as you like.

Nice picture, by the way.

5. tsiya

tsiya Member

If those little flowers were larger, they would compete with the finest Orchids in beauty. The original TIFF file is one of My favorite recent efforts. I usually chase birds, but many of My subjects have migrated, (watch for them) and the locals are breeding and more secretive. At any rate, I found Myself crawling around getting Blackberry thorns in My hands and knees, had not done that for 50 years, and I had the time of My life. I will keep My nose closer to the ground from now on.
    Thanks for Your gracious welcome, tsiya