Sarracenia

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Eunice, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Eunice

Eunice Member

I have just learned that these plants will survive outside here during the winter so I would like to learn their individual names if it is possible to identify them from the pictures. I know that there are at least two since there are both single and double blooms.

Attached Files:

2. Ken R

Ken R Active Member

I pulled out Peter D'Amato's book, The Savage Garden, to see if a non-expert like me could come up with an answer just by looking at the pictures in the book.

The short answer is no. There are a lot of hybrids and cultivars out there.

But the tall ones with the white trumpets and purple-red veining look like S. leucophylla. The short ones that look a bit like cowled monks might be S. minor or at least have some S. minor parentage. It looks like quite a mix in your pot, and you might have more than two kinds.

D'Amato opens his chapter on Sarracenia with, "Beautiful and easy to grow, American pitcher plants may be the most ravenous and underappreciated plants in horticulture." Have fun with yours.

3. Eunice

Eunice Member

Thank you, Ken, for all your efforts.

That will at least give me a start on where to look.

I hope some people might be growing them and will recognize them. I look at them on the Internet and too many of them look like them.

Does the difference between single and double blooms have anything to do with whether they have short or tall pitchers? They are so thick that I couldn't even tell which blooms belonged to which plants.