Salvia?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Nicole0426, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Hello, I got these for Salvias at the beginning of summer and 3 out of the 4 of them are flopping over. They have more tender leaves with very little flowers on them. One of the 4 seems to be growing normal. They are all on a drip irrigation system and have received little fertilizer other than what was already in the soil. All of them are receiving the same care so I'm not sure why 3 of them are growing that way?? I wanted to post this here to see if maybe 3 out of the 4 are a different variety? I also wanted to see why they seem to be flopping over and have a less hardy stature. The ones that are flopping over seem to also be more attacked by bugs. They have huge leaves compared to the "normal" Slavia. Hope someone can help!

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Are they getting enough sun? The flowering one looks to be in more light in your photos, but I can't really tell what the situations is from here.

3. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Yes, they are on the south side and get full sun all day. We are zone 5.

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

There are nearly thousand species of salvias, plus hybrid varieties and cultivars.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Almost certainly 2 different kinds (and if you want to confirm, provide a side-by-side photo of the flowers (or flowering heads) of each).