roadside bank western NC 1

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by nitrogeninthesoil, Apr 9, 2020.

1. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    This plant was growing on a roadside bank in the western NC mtns. Soil is acidic and sandy. They are small in size similar to Saxifraga but I don't think that's what they are. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Thank-you!

Attached Files:

2. nitrogeninthesoil

Could this be a Senecio/Packera species? That was my guess but I couldn't find any pics that came close enough to those leaves...this area has a lot of Senecio aureus.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pedicularis canadensis maybe?

4. nitrogeninthesoil

Not sure but could be....the area in which it was found had acidic soil and it was in the vicinity of an oak forest.

Hmmmm...if this is wood betony I have a strange question....I read in Illinois wildflowers that this plant reduces the height of grasses to increase its colony size....could this plant survive and weaken grass around it on a field of fescue? The field does not contain oak trees but then apparently betony doesn't need this.

Thank-you so much for your help!

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

In theory, I suppose. In practicality, I don't know of anyone who has attempted it. There is probably some utility in learning how to cultivate these hemiparasites.