Pretty quick growing little...whatever it is!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by DGuertin, Oct 8, 2008.

1. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

This has got to be distinctive enough for someone to peg it pretty easily - just way out of my range of ferns and cycads! This fellow popped up out of nowhere not too long ago, and has put on 6' of growth in less than that many months. It's woody, so I don't know if it's a tree or just a tough weed. Very interesting lad, though. If it's OK by me when the ID comes through, I'll probably dig it and pot it; otherwise, it's mulch.

I prefer to give everything that pops up in my yard a chance, right up until it's designated 'annoying,' as is the case with the so-called "weedy strangling bastard" (Trumpet vine). :-D Humming birds apparently love it, though I've never seen a one in my yard, and I suspect the damn vine would just choke them out if they came anywhere near it... I have a hundred or so Sabal minor, though, thanks to letting nature take its course. ;-)

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Mulberry, Morus alba

HTH
    Chris

3. DGuertin

No kidding? Doesn't look anything at all like the other Mulberry's that have popped up this year! They all looked more like they had fig leaves...

4. saltcedar

Yeah, they're amazingly variable and way too common in Texas.

Regards,
    Chris

5. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

yep that's mulberry and I'm guessing acer truncatum for the maple in the background.

6. saltcedar

Liquidambar styraciflua would be more likely in this area.

Regards
    Chris

7. DGuertin

Wish it was a Maple! This is actually a Sweet Gum growing straight up from a root off of the mother tree 30' away. Got tired of cutting it down every few weeks, so I've let it go the last few months and put ferns under it. ;-) Will have to chop it again, though, as I can't have it eating through the side of the house, foundation, roof...