Please what is this

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by amdm, Mar 15, 2006.

1. amdm

amdm Member

This little flower grows in my yard in South Louisiana. But I've never seen it before and would like to know its name if anyone knows.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Flower looks like genus Rubus. If you show the whole plant it might be more likely for someone here to say which one.

3. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Flower structure similar to a Fragaria or strawberry. A picture of the leaf would help to narrow it down. Also whether the stem is herbaceous(green or soft ) or woody(hard, like a rose bush, tree) would help to confirm that it actually is a wild strawberry. If Fragaria, usually has runners(stolons) and compound leaves with 3 leaflets. I rarely see the fruit as the wildlife usually get it long before I get there, but if you cover a flower with a baggy after germination (petals fall) then you might see what type of fruit develops.

Still could be another member as Ron surmised above of the Rosaceae (Rose family) which is wide and contains everything from blackberry to roses, cherry to hawthorn.

Harry

4. amdm

amdm Member

Ok here is the flower with it's leaves.

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Look for sites or books covering the wild plants of your area. There may be a native bramble that is not cultivated much that this is an example of, or it could just as well be an introduced (cultivated) foreign species. There are hundreds of species in the genus Rubus.

6. tlpenner

tlpenner Active Member

Looks suspiciously like a blackberry to me. Watch it! The fruit is delicious, but the vines are insidious and prickly and hard to get rid of once allowed to go free.

7. oscar

oscar Active Member

agreed a Rubus of some description, notice the prickly hairs on the leaf stalk.

8. amdm

amdm Member

Thanks tlpenner I looked up blackberry flower and there it was. Thank you guys .

9. Ron B

Various brambles are called blackberries, of course, both garden forms and wild species.