Please ID this maybe Maple whatchamacallit

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Michigander, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Michigander

Michigander Member

This critter is in a graveyard I steal seeds from. It has the general presentation of a Japanese maple, but the leaves are ~6 or 8" square. Leaves are twice the size of Silver Maple, but half the size of Bigleaf. Lobes are a large caricature of Silver Maple. Leaves are presented horizontally in its high under-story location indicating it seeks light, but it grows well enough in low light. The horizontal leaves are strikingly dead flat and horizontal. The photos are from under the tree looking up at ~80° or so, and don't show this. A tree that had this leaf presentation in full sun would have great difficulty surviving in low light. Sunlight requirements and tree size are unlike Bigleaf or Silver Maples. Mountain and higher latitude species of maple tend to have smaller leafs with shorter lobes, polar opposite of this leaf. Rough, gathered bark on upper side of trunk collar above protruding branches, et al, is not characteristic of maples. Is not Japanese, American or European because it would be in general cultivation due to attractiveness and "small tree" size. China is vast and has many isolated zones that have peculiar weather. Eg: Pandas, Golden Larch, and Dawn Redwood, and there are lots of species I can't find photos of, so I'm in a guessing game.

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Active Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Acer saccharum 'Sweet Shadow'

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Contributor 10 Years

4. emery

emery Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Seems right to me too. But I really commented to say @Silver surfer good to see you here, I wish you would come back to the Maple Forum more often... -E

Silver surfer likes this.
  5. Michigander

Michigander Member

Looks like a match, but I won't be able to examine mine closer until next spring. The more I look around, the more I see that there are deeply cut Maples throughout the genus. I need to overlay these with local Silver, Sugar and Norway. Individual variability might negate that, but maybe I'll learn something. Thanks!