Please help me identify this flower/tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jonny5cal, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jonny5cal

jonny5cal Member

Hi,
    I found these trees all over the campus of my alma mater, and come spring, they would come into bloom with these great flowers. I haven't been able to identify them, and would love help in doing so. I'd also like any further information about maximum size, maintenance, and any other tips you may have. I'm located in California, as is my alma mater. I've attached a picture of one of the flowers.

Thanks!

IMG_0117_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
  2. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

Magnolia

3. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

One of many, see Magnolia Society home for a complete list. Maintenance should be relatively easy. Keep watered, fertilized in your area. I have a similar tree growing in my yard and although some of the more severe winters can be hard on them, unless you are high in the mountains you shouldn't have that problem. Haven't had any insect damage, but our winters (to 0F or less) might kill some insects that survive in your area. If thinking of buying one, ask the nursery for specific care and problems in your area. Size can range to about 20'(8m) or less in the extreme, but are usually smaller and can be kept smaller with careful pruning. Size might be greater in warmer climes too.

Harry

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  4. Thanks for the help! Any idea as to what kind of magnolia it is? I had my suspicions it was one, but I was unable to find a matching kind when I went through the long list of breeds of magnolia.

Thanks!

5. jonny5cal

jonny5cal Member

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The common one with this appearance is Magnolia x soulangeana. This is one of the most prevalent of ornamental trees, frequently planted wherever it can be grown. M. sprengeri is limited primarily to collections.

7. jonny5cal

jonny5cal Member

I think that's the one! Thanks!