Plant ID "BRASIL"

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by paol, Aug 4, 2003.

1. paol

paol Member

My friend brough me what appeared to be a brown dry cane-like plant, about 8-10 inches in total length, that split to form a V for about three inches. She brought it from Brasil about 4 years ago. She said that these sticks come floating down the Amazon and people put them in water to grow.

As instructed, I kept it in water, half covered for about 8 or more months, until one of the round ends began to change color, to a milky color, over a period of a few weeks as I remember.. which was followed by a sprout that grew to have leaves.. after a number of months I moved it to dirt and have allowed it to grow for close to 3 years now.

my apologies for the poor description of the process... I wouldn't even post this if it wasn't for the fact that I now have a digital camera and can send a accompaning picture the will hopefully make up for my poor description.

I'm attaching a picture of "BRASIL".

Part of my curosity about this plant is prompted by the three smaller leaves that, for the secong year in a row, have sprouted next to the main plant. My wife thinks they are a seperate plant, and I believe they are a part of the larger main plant.

I would appreciate any help you can give...

Thanx

Paol
    Pacifica, Californai

Attached Files:

2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

"...three smaller leaves...".
    Appears to be a Caladium at the base of a Cordyline.
    Hope this helps

3. paol

paol Member

Caladium / Cordyline

Hi Chris,

Thanx for the information, it's very exciting for me. Now I will look for further info on these two plants... origin, care and feeding, pictures, where they can be purchased etc.. If anyone can suggest a online reference.. It will be much appreciatiated.

paol

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The larger plant is more likely Dracaena (not Cordyline). It looks rather like D. fragrans. If it is, this is one of the easiest of all indoor plants to grow, requiring low light and little moisture to survive. Outdoors, it requires subtropical conditions to grow.