Plant I.D. help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by DamienO'Connor, Aug 17, 2006.

1. DamienO'Connor

DamienO'Connor Active Member

hey,

need help identifying what type of plants these are:

the first two photos ive put here are the same plant, then the last two is a different one. (the second plant is in amongst a different plant, i only want the one with the star shaped leaves)

i thought the first plant would be easier to cascade. i just reckon the second one looks cool with its leaves. (do u think the plant the second one is amongst would be good too?)

thanks for all your help...

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Damien, whose plants are they? Where are they growing all together like that? If they're at a nursery, get them to I.D. the plants to be sure about them, and if not, were you planning on 'acquiring' them somehow?

3. DamienO'Connor

i found the plants in a corner in my yard,(which is pretty bare) thought i could get a cutting off them, but first i wanted to learn some stuff about them so i know how to look after them before i go cutting it...
    they both starting growing naturally they weren't planted or anything, the plant that the second plant is growing with has always been there though.
    - i guess you might not be able to tell me what they are if they are only in Australia or something like that..

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to plant ID forum - might get a few more people seeing it then)

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The first one looks like a species of Asparagus. If it originated as a houseplant, my guess would be A. setaceus, Asparagus Fern.

6. mkplant

mkplant Active Member 10 Years

The plant with the fancy leaves might be Brachychiton acerifolius with a common name something like Queensland flame tree which would perhaps make it a reasonable thing to find in your garden.

7. DamienO'Connor

yeah they do look alike - i had a look on google. i could let the fern develop more than see how it looks then - so i know what plant it is and if i want it. but otherwise i will get a cut from them tommorrow, where abouts will i cut it - as you can see with the fern (1st tree) there are about five really thin trunks - will i cut just one off?
    with the flame tree (2nd tree) i was thinking about cutting the whole thing - leaving just a stump there. because similar to the photo ive included (its a flame tree so have a look and see if you reckon they're the same) it starts off straight then another branch shoots out at an angle to the side - will i cut the whole branch coming out - which is basically where my hand is on the last photo on my first post?

thank you again for all your help...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006