Pink blooming rock garden plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ken R, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Ken R

Ken R Active Member

We were given a rock garden planter that the owner had once filled with a dozen or more specimens. When we got it, it was reduced to three: A thyme, a draba that blooms with yellow flowers in early spring (D. condensata if the tag is correct) and the pink-flowered fellow whose pictures are attached. The pictures show the whole plant, a closer shot of the foliage, and a close-up of the flower and fruit.

Its flowers only open in full sun, usually during the hottest part of the day.

While the draba and the thyme have kept to their spots, this guy has spread, taking over most of the planter.

Can you name it?

Attached Files:

2. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

a purslane?

3. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Talinum, not certain which one. Joe

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

5. Ken R

Ken R Active Member

Many thanks.

Talinum seems right. Talinum teretifolium (fame-flower, sunbright) seems very likely based on the photos on the web, but there are many Talinums. I'm not sure what characteristics to look for to clinch the ID.

I notice the USDA site uses the synonym Phemeranthus for Talinum.

6. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Actually in this case Phemeranthus teretifolius is the name and Talinum teretifolium the synonym. To narrow it down you might go through the USDA result page of a search for Talinum and see if you can see which are similar. I would look for the similar leaf to try and narrow it down. I would also look at the range maps for plants from your area.

Just started a new job so I don't have the time. I only looked for similar Talinum pictures on line in my first reply. Harry