Pinguicula ionantha?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Marian Whitcomb, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Marian Whitcomb

Marian Whitcomb New Member

In a fantastic carnivorous plant bog in the Appalachicola Forest, I believe it was in the fall, thus the leaf colour. Sorry the photo is not great.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think so: dotted leaf surface and slightly involute leaf margin. That said, I don't know what other Pinguicula it may be.

Marian Whitcomb likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Been through all my books and the only one similar IMO is Pinguicula 'Red Starfish' !!!!??? Could be totally wrong though.

4. Marian Whitcomb

I am assuming that is a cultivar name...this was in the wild about 40 years ago (revealing my age here, lol). Thanks for your time and interest.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Hi Marian, have a look at this link International Carnivorous Plant Society
    It appears the one you came across could be the parent of Red Starfish that was produced in the 90's as a cross between two.
    And you're welcome, I'm so interested in anything that comes along on the forum. It has made my retirement far more interesting than I thought possible tbh.

6. Marian Whitcomb

Interesting, Acerholic, thank you so much! I am recovering from two life threatening events of acute pancreatitis, and the ability to get to know the plants in my photos has been a great activity while in recovery. I appreciate your time.

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but it's our good fortune that you've involved us in your project. I hope your recovery continues well.

8. Acerholic

Hi Marian, can I second that from Wendy in that your recovery continues well and look forward to any more teasing photos you may have.

9. Marian Whitcomb

Awww you guys...such a bunch of warm fuzzies...thank you! I love plant people.

Acerholic likes this.