Palm seed ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bluetiger, Aug 25, 2008.

1. bluetiger

bluetiger Member

I just received a palm seed and I can't find it online to figure out what type of palm the seed belongs to. It looks similar to a Kukui nut from Hawaii, but about 2 times the size and flatter. It's brown and smooth...sort of heart shaped almost. Can Anyone help?

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

ummm hard to enough for me to identify a seed, let alone without a photo, any pics?

Ed

3. bluetiger

bluetiger Member

Hopefully this works! Thank you for your reply.

ERIN

Attached Files:

4. Sugarflower

Sugarflower Member

My great grandmother had this exact same seed many years ago. When she was in her 20's she was corresponding with my great grandfather while he was stationed in Panama. I didn't even know this was a seed and thought it was some strange item from the ocean. I never knew what it was. It will be interesting if someone could ID it for you and for me. :)

5. bluetiger

bluetiger Member

That is really cool! Yeah I guess to look at it not knowing it was a seed you could imagine it might be anything. When I received it I said "what is it?". Had no idea. Hopefully we'll both learn something new!

6. Sugarflower

Sugarflower Member

7. bluetiger

bluetiger Member

Thanks Sugarflower! So I guess tourists get talked into anything because who I got it from was told from a tourist shop in the Dominican that they were palm seeds. I appreciate your help! Now we both know!