Norfolk Pines

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by wheeley, Jun 8, 2007.

1. wheeley

wheeley Member

We live south of Houston, Texas and on some recently purchased property just a couple of lots over is a nice Norfolk pine that the previous owners had planted outside. It's a good 15' tall with about 4 others (sprouts) ranging from about 9-12'. We would really like to move them to our yard. When should we do this and can we separate the tree cluster and have 5 trees? wheeley

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

To move trees that size, you'll need to hire a professional with a tree spade.

You won't be able to separate the cluster, the roots will bo too much intertwined. Keep the best one, and cut the others out.

If by 'Norfolk pine' you mean Araucaria heterophylla, note that it isn't reliably hardy in southern TX - sooner or later a cold snap in winter will kill it. The only areas in the US where it gets large are southernmost Florida, and the Pacific coast of southern California (and Hawaii, of course).

3. wheeley

wheeley Member

Thank you for your quick response! Wheeley

4. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

I have 2 norfolk island pines, One is 3, and the other is 4' in height'. this year I am going to use a paper lei to decorate my 4 foot norflok isand pine. I work at a greenhouse and nursery called tranquil gardens in Macomb, IL( that is Western IL) my boos at work has a 7 to 8 foot norfolk pine that he keeps in the green house during the winter. My suggestion for your problem is to dig up the norfolk isand pine and tranplant it into a big tree pot and store it in a space that has a very high ceiling. I hope this info will help you with the norfolk island pine. I hope moines grow to that size. I currently have mine in the basement of my house, Dogseadepression

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think the original poster was in Texas. Sounds as tho they will survive outdoors OK.

Liz