In The Garden: No green tips

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by i_am_jim, Apr 17, 2021.

1. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

Anybody know what this flower is. I see it fairly regularly (but not now) in Houston gardens.

I originally thought it was a Green-tip forest lily -- Clivia nobilis pictures here with my error prominently on the left

But, it has no green tips and that flower droops or points down, while this one is erect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like a C. miniata type

Silver surfer likes this.
  3. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

Thanks for your reply.

I can't disagree as I don't know what it is but. . . I googled C. miniata and I have seen several of them at different homes and none were opened into the trumpet shape I saw in all the miniata pictures. They all look like my picture, thus like Green-tip forest lily other than the features I mentioned

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hybridizers have produced a variety of floral structures and coloration as we see here:

clivias flower - Bing images

With the wild original C. miniata flower not usually being seen on plants presented to the general market in later times. At least wherever I have been.

5. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

I hope this can be a discussion rather than an argument as I'm sure you know much more about this than I.

It seems to me your link made my point above. The pictures in that link show trumpet shaped blossoms.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Just because a photo is on the internet doesn't make it correctly named, even in Wikipedia. I don't know any clivia names, but I would guess that the one with the common name "green tipped" would have green tips, and as you note, yours does not. And there were several photos of Clivia nobilis that demonstrate the green-tipped plant. I would think you could safely rule out that species as being the same as your plant.

Ron B suggested the species name C. miniata, adding that we don't usually see the species, because what's available to us are cultivars. There can be quite a bit of variation in species plants, but you would be looking for the C. miniata cultivar anyway, if you want to know exactly what you have.

Ron's link was to a general clivia search. Stuff that comes up on searches is not useful until you investigate each one and then rate the source, since plant shops don't always have correct names on what they sell, and a page will appear in a search result if the search term was on the page, but the photo shown might not be the one associated with that term.

7. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

Thanks for the information.