New server...

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The UBC Botanical Garden web site is now on the garden's new server. It should be a seamless change for almost everyone, but there might be some problems that arise. Please email me or reply to this thread if you note any.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Glitch #1 - emails are not being sent out by the forum software. In other words, no one will be receiving emails confirming their registration until we can solve this small problem.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Email problem fixed.

4. Daniel Mosquin

One of the advantages of the new server is that I've successfully been able to move all of the image attachments out of the database that powers these forums into the computer's file system. Considering the database is now 1/40 of its former size, there should be a notable speed improvement.

5. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Hi Daniel: Things are really slow this morning, timed out twice after being very slow on the initial connection.
    Ralph (at 10:05 am)

6. Daniel Mosquin

Ralph - thanks. Let's keep an eye on it. I hope it was only a blip due to the "UBC-rest of the world network connection" as I had a lot of difficulty getting my email at home (server timeouts).

7. Daniel Mosquin

Hmm... very interesting. Thumbnails were working for some people, but not for others (and I'm at a loss to explain why). So, I've moved all of the attachments back in the database for now until I can solve this problem.

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I got a couple of no server errors this AM trying to log in. works now.

9. webwolf

webwolf Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    Does anyone has the same problem to not been able to see the pictures?
    All I get is a message.
    Wolf

Attached Files:

10. Daniel Mosquin

Re: webwolf:

Alrighty. So, the problem wasn't with the attachments in the database, but more likely with the controls I've been trying to put in place to prevent people from using this server as a host for their own images (and then putting the images in their own web pages). This creates problems because it slows down the forums, yet there's no real benefit to anyone here. I'll see if I can figure out what I've done wrong...

11. yesheh

yesheh Member

why don't you allow the "" operater? also, why isn't there a magnolia forum? you have alot of very nice magnolias at the gardens, unfortunatly, i haven't made it out this spring, and probably won't unless the late magnolias are especially spectacular. do you have magnolia 'daybreak out there?

yesheh

12. Daniel Mosquin

Hi there yesheh,

Sorry for the late reply - just getting back into things after a vacation. As for IMG tags, I'm concerned about three things:

a) dead links to images (although the same can be said of hyperlinks to images)
    b) posting of images that are copyright elsewhere - it makes it slightly tougher to do, but again, they could be posted as attachments
    c) (the killer) insertion of massive images into threads causing long load times - the thumbnail system is quicker and neater, and works as a solution for now. That's not to say it won't change - depends on server abilities in the long term.

As for a Magnolia forum, sure, why not?

13. Daniel Mosquin

Here's an example of why I'd prefer images be placed in attachments:

From the Plant ID forum

The value of the thread as a learning tool for anyone else who happens upon it is severely diminished.

14. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, I agree the taking down of the pics on another
    server is a problem to someone now wanting to
    look at that thread. Another issue is the moving
    around or taking down the links from other web
    sites some of us have provided in with our posts.

Jim

15. Daniel Mosquin

Agreed. Also a reason why we've a preference for links to educational sites, knowing that once something goes online at an educational institution, it is less likely to disappear than at a commercial site.