Need help identifying gorgeous hydrangea

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by chowntown, May 14, 2006.

1. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

I'm sorry I don't have a picture which probably isn't any help at all! While I was out to dinner tonight I noticed this curious white flowering shrub. Upon closer inspection I realized that it was infact a white lacecap hydrangea but it is a variety I have never seen before. It is covered in miniture (approx 3-4" diameter) lacecaps packed very tightly together. The leaves are also a very distinct shape - almost a lance shape with a hint of red in the veins and stems. I have worked in a nursery now for 3 years and have never come across this type of hydrangea. I think it is a hydrangea macrophylla but can anybody identify the variety?

Many, many, many thanks

-Eric

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

3. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

4. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Have you ruled out the possibility that it's a Viburnum? Their blooms can be very similar.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Compare with Viburnum plicatum tomentosum. It is too early for hydrangeas to be flowering outdoors here.

6. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

Thanks everyone for all your help! I was walking through my nursery today and noticed the same plant. I was a little suspicous of calling it a hydrangea but it is definatley a Viburnum plicatum tomentosum, most likely a 'Mariesii' as it has the largest sterile flowers. I picked up the 'Summer Snowflake' variety as it blooms right until the end of the growing season. An absolutely fantastic shrub, among the most beautiful of the viburnums after Viburnum bodnantense "Dawn' I'm really suprised I don't see it around here more in Victoria. Now I just have to find a place to plant it!

Thanks again

-Eric