Nanaimo Peach

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Margot, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

My great friend Al was telling me that he has just acquired a much-coveted peach tree that was developed just down the highway from us. As he says, "In case you don't know, the Nanaimo peach was developed here but somehow went to the US where it is now trademarked and banned from Canadian imports. It is the ONLY peach that does not get peach leaf curl and is highly sought after." !!!!!

Nanaimo ™ Peach - One Green World

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

From the page linked to:

Please note that our leaf curl resistant varieties are not immune to the disease.

3. Margot

Hmmm. So - only resistant, not immune. My friend will be disappointed (perhaps skeptical) but, knowing him, optimistic.

4. Ron B

In addition to various commercial interests promoting it there are at least a couple of anecdotal testimonials that come up when doing a web search.

5. Bethany

Bethany New Member

My dad who has been in agriculture all his life is now retired and able to grow things for fun! He wants so badly to try growing a Nanaimo peach but found out that the licensing is now with someone in the states and it’s virtually impossible to get one. It’s his birthday on April 17th, and I have been searching high and low for someone with a Nanaimo peach in the lower mainland area who has one, and who would allow me to pay to take cuttings that my dad can propagate (he is great at this). Any chance your friend Al is in this area and would be willing to help me make this drea come true for my dad!?

6. Margot

I have been in touch with Al so one or the other of us will get back to you asap.

7. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Thank you so much!

8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Margot: The person who started another recent post about the elusive “Nanaimo Peach” might be interested in this (your) thread, too

Al is going to be very popular :)

The leaf-curl resistant Nanaimo Peach

9. rhinogator

rhinogator New Member

I have been looking for a Nanimo Peach tree as well! Did not know it was trademarked, thats why it isn't available anywhere in Canada.

10. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Yes, licensing is held by some company in Oregon/Washington area. It’s a real shame since it grows so well here. We need a big operation in BC to go to the hassle of purchasing and importing to resell up here. If that’s even possible!

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

As I mentioned in the other thread: nothing appears in the freely-searchable US Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Database for an entity called "Nanaimo Peach": Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) (use basic search, search for Nanaimo)

A trademark is a protected name that is used in commerce -- it won't have too much bearing on whether a product is available in Canada or not.

So, until there is more information: who the breeder / discoverer was, what the plant patent number is, any sort of documentation, really... I am skeptical.

12. Margot

It begs the question whether everyone who thinks they are growing 'Nanaimo Peach' are actually growing the same tree or if there are more than one going by that name. Would the real Nanaimo Peach please stand up.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  13. Georgia Strait

I wonder if any updates on this mystery peach “Nanaimo Peach”

14. Bethany

Bethany New Member

We have a happy ending! ;)

15. Georgia Strait

Oh I hope you tell us what you bought or discovered etc

16. Skipleyfarm

Skipleyfarm New Member

Frost Peach is our reliable leafcurl resistant variety here in Snohomish, 3 hours south. I'll have to try the Nanaimo.

17. Ron B

Putting a TM after the word Nanaimo did not secure any ownership rights to the involved genetic material. Or even the name itself. This commercial site explains the system: Plant Patents & Trademarks (fbts.com)

A plant trademark is a legal right to a monopoly on a name or symbol affiliated with a particular plant cultivar, but not to the plant itself. Owners apply to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for ownership of the name and may keep reapplying every ten years. If a plant has a registered trademark but is not patented, you can sell the plant using its cultivar name. However, it is possible you may not be allowed to sell it using its registered trademark name.

The symbol used to signify a grower's intent to trademark a plant name with the USPTO is the superscript "TM" following the trademarked name. This symbol doesn't give the owner of the name legal rights to the name. To obtain a monopoly on the name, the grower needs to apply for a registered trademark, which is symbolized by the superscript "®" following the name.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Skipleyfarm likes this.
  18. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Skipleyfarm likes this.
  19. Georgia Strait

@Skipleyfarm
    i enjoyed your farm website as linked somewhere in your public profile here

- that is amazing

i looked for a photo of Reggie Pig picking apples

And other farm animals ?

how do you irrigate in summer? (Rain barrel storage?)

the peach you name - do you have photos ? I am curious

on thé Okanagan side hère in BC above Wenatchee WA - we look for V peaches — Verdette etc — they are the best and in this day are hard to find (commercial shipping crops - if not vineyards malls and subdivisions - have taken over)

Penticton Vees (senior) - Wikipedia

There is even a hockey team named « vees » — people think it means victory of a hockey game — it’s roots so to speak are in peach names

ÉDIT - i see wiki suggests a different spelling of peach name - here is quote from link above showing the V peach names
    « The Penticton Vees were named for the victory, valiant, and vidette varieties of peaches grown in the Okanagan Valley.[3] »

20. Skipleyfarm

Skipleyfarm New Member

The farm has been a source of daily joys. Rabbits and the tree collection are my biggest challenge currently. I watered when planted, 2011, and all new additions. Mature plants manage with the clay slab below and clay-loam texture. I subsoiled (knife-like shank) to two feet -about 20 miles of 'cracking' in dry August before I planted. The clay slab acts like a 'water battery'-that is imperative that it be recharged every winter. So far, only knolls have dried (1 acre of apples on Budagovsky 9, 80 varieties) and dwarfed trees, swales have drowned and killed trees. All plantings are originally ridged 12-16". 1 acre of blueberries-15 varieties- have suffered most though continue to grow and produce. "Rain barrels" are higher crescent ponds. It is the knolls that present themselves as good for Medlar, Peach, Plum as I over-plant (interplant) the collection. Swales in the apples over-plant to different rootstock...M. fusca? P18, B118. This interest in drought tolerance stems from a passion to play with growing plants without supplemental water...when I arrived in PNW, coming from near Philadelphia- where it predictably rains soon after planting. I plant everything here in October-November ideally, but also April-May with saturated/swampy winter soils. Drip tape irrigation has been my favorite dissemination method-cost is about $0.03/ft. I layed 20K feet initially. Early years cost $3000 annually for water.
    Anyway, Georgia Straights, you asked, seems there might be a thread for irrigation/drought tolerance. Oh, another thing, I use tensiometers.
    Reggie the pig is on Instagram, he eats a lot of apple seconds and cider pulp.
    [​IMG]

He found himself a spot in the remay pile in the barn, pretty smart, cozy.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2021
    Georgia Strait likes this.