Mystery plant, seems like a yucca

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by agheis, May 14, 2020.

1. agheis

agheis New Member

I was wondering if anyone was able to identify this plant. It had multiple full crowns of spiky leaves like the ones present in the photo but they were all lost due to poor care. If anyone could identify the plant and how to care for it that would be much appreciated. Also information about whether the top can be cut and propagated of air layered would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Adam

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

From the pattern of the leaves and stem texture I would say this is a cultivar of Dracaena fragrans (Deremensis Group). (Syn. Dracaena deremensis)

3. agheis

agheis New Member

Thank you!

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I had this reply all written earlier, but then thought the trunk looked too broad at the base and tapered for Dracaena and maybe it was a yucca and what I said was totally inappropriate. But if Junglekeeper thinks Dracaena, I'll just post what I was originally going to say.

That looks similar to a Dracaena I have that I think that I think looks similar to Dracaena 'Jade Jewel'.
    If it were mine, I would try to extricate the new shoot, keeping as many of its roots as intact as possible, and get rid of the rest, fill in with new soil.

These plants root easily - there is not really a need to air layer them. There is nothing that really looks alive on the old trunk, but sure, cut off a piece from the top 13cm or so in length and if there is anything green, push it about a third of the way into the pot, see if anything happens. Give it a month or more. Make sure the pot has drainage holes. Water it when you fill in with new soil, feel how heavy it is, water it again only when it looks dry on top and is lighter.

5. Junglekeeper

It does look unusual but perhaps that's what they look like when they get really old. Hopefully the OP will post photos of the plant once it has put on some new growth.

6. Junglekeeper

I was able to find this photo of both dracaena and yucca (from this thread). The one on the left appears to be Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana' and the one on the right Yucca elephantipes. Note the difference in appearance of the stems. I think the stem pattern of the OP's plant looks more like that of the dracaena.

The portion of the stem at the soil line typically isn't significantly wider than the top, probably because the plant was propagated by cutting. Perhaps this particular plant started out as a pup from a mother plant thus accounting for the difference. Hopefully someone can offer up a definitive answer.