mystery blue flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Douglas Justice, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

A few years ago I was browsing in a roadside nursery in Mexico (San Luis Potosi State). I took a picture of this plant, but have not been able to identify it since. I apologize for the lack of scale. I believe the flowers are about 15 mm in diameter. From the twisted flower buds and opposite leaves I would guess that it's in the dogbane family (Apocynaceae), but this may be a rash assumption. Does anyone recognize it?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Eranthemum pulchellum, I think

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Ah, yes, Daniel, you are spot on. Square stems, nervy leaves, flowers with 2 stamens and a bracteose inflorescence (the unopened inflorescence visible behind the open flowers). Must be an acanth. D'oh!