My monkey puzzle tree is leaning

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Nealea, May 20, 2005.

1. Nealea

Nealea Member

My beautiful monkey puzzle tree, which was in my front garden when I bought my house 28 years ago, is developing a lean. Unfortunately it's towards my house. I've attached a photo.

Is it normal for trees like this to tilt but stay upright? Or must I remove it? (I could call a tree removal firm and ask, but I know what they'd say!)

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Something is haywire. Have it looked at by an International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist A.S.A.P.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Neal, the most important thing to see in my opinion would be the base of the tree where it meets the ground. if the soil is heaving on the opposite side of the lean I would suggest removal asap as it is likely a root rot issue and the tree looks to be of sufficient size to do damage to the home nearby. if the lean has developed rapidly it is also a bad sign. The trunk looks to be straight other than the fact that it is no longer at a right angle from the ground. Straightening or uprighting the tree is usually a fruitless effort as there is normally a drastic problem with the tree and the lean is an indicator of such problem rather than the problem itself.