Monkey puzzle tree splitting

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by ronegang, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ronegang

ronegang Member

I would be interested in learning more about the disease and Monkey Trees. We have two large trees near our garage. They are spliting up the sides; we can see inside one of them. Haven't been able to find anyone in our area that can tell us what is wrong with them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Jodi

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

It would be helpful to post some photos along with some more info--size and age of trees.....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. ronegang

ronegang Member

I have attached three photos; one of each tree and one of both of them to show the height. We are not sure how old they are; but they are the tallest ones in the area. Thank you!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. ronegang

ronegang Member

Oops! Here's another one of the first tree!

Attached Files:

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe frost crack or drought crack? Looks ugly, but as the trees have healthy crowns, I'd not be too worried at the moment.

6. ronegang

ronegang Member

So we don't need to be concerned with them falling on the house? :) Thank you for the information.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Unlikely at the moment; but might be worth getting a professional tree consultant in to check them for any decay every 5 or 10 years.

8. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

So, are the cracks on the same side of both trees?

The last picture looks as though two things are going on. Was that tree ever hit by a vehicle? Even lightly backed into?

Relevant to the pictures, which way does your prevailing wind come from during storms? When did you first notice the damage?

9. ronegang

ronegang Member

Hi! The cracks are on the NW side of both trees. We noticed this last summer and have been watching it. The larger of the two does seem to be spreading vertically. The wind does come from the NW direction most of the time, which I never thought about before. They have never been hit as far as we know. We bought the house almost eight years ago and they weren't there then. We love the trees and would hate to loose them. Thank you for all the information!

10. ronegang

ronegang Member

The cracks werent there, I mean :)

11. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Keep them irrigated well during the summer. I've read that the bark of these trees can get quite dry at times. I am speculating that as the high winds blow, they have caused the cracks on the tension side of the tree.

Monitor their canopy for signs of decline or dead branches. Look for signs of disease, like conks etc.

You would benefit from an assessment done on site, by an ISA Certified Arborist who is also a certified Hazard Tree Risk Assessor.

Look for one here www.isa.com