Monkey Puzzle Tree - High Winds

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by janejanie1955, Dec 28, 2013.

1. janejanie1955

janejanie1955 New Member

UK : North West : Liverpool : Monkey Puzzle Tree

During yesterday's high winds (90mph) my Monkey Puzzle Tree (approx. 12ft) has started to lean over to one side.
    My husband has placed heavy bags around the base to try and keep the tree in position and straighten.
    Can anyone recommend anything else I can do to help?

Jane Lambert (concerned tree owner!)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If root-bound - as is often the case with container-grown woody nursery stock here - may need a stout post to keep it erect at this point.

3. janejanie1955

janejanie1955 New Member

Dear Ron tree is in the ground and it is 18ft sorry not 12ft, we dug done 3ft for planting purposes to give good start 8 years ago, growing approx. 18in a year which is very good as they are generally slow growing.
    Concerned the trunk not thick enough and there is movement in the trunk when in the ground.
    Jane

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Around here, trees that are too large to be supported by posts are held in the correct position with three equidistant guy wires fastened to the trunk with cushioned loops and anchored to the ground using sturdy stakes. This should work for your tree if you have room for the stakes, which should be located 10 ft or more away from the trunk (assuming that the guy wires are attached about 10 ft above ground level).

5. janejanie1955

janejanie1955 New Member

Thanx for that Ron
    Kind regards Jane