Minnesota puzzler

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Bobs, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

The photos are all we have to work with. The plant's size is difficult to judge thanks to the fence in the background.

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

It's the elephant in the foreground rather than the fence in the background that changes one's perspective on the size of the plant... Nope, don't know what it is, but looking at the leaf shape and arrangement, the raceme of florets, the anthrocyanins, the pilose raceme and stems, I'm plagued with more questions. I can't see if the stems are actually square, and without a scratch and sniff feature I have no idea of the scent of the crushed leaves. Still right now, I'm tending toward something mint-related. Lots of things in that family don't have a scent. But I find fewer inconsistencies than correlations.

Let's hope that makes someone come back at us with a more authoritative response.

3. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

I suspect a kind of salvia but I agree that scent and stem shape characteristics are needed to build a case for that. The racemes are drooping but exposure to light frost could account for that.
    I might or might not be able to get more information and will update here if I do. Thanks.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Yep, that was the general way my mind was drifting. But not all in that family have much of a scent. And the red flowered Salvia coccinea doesn't bloom like this one. Not liking the drooping raceme, either. A light frost would take tender leaf edges if it was enough to wilt the floral stem. Anyhow, Lamiaceae is a pretty big family with a lot of diversity.

This one looks to be attractive, and may have been intentionally planted. Oh well, with the return of the M-F botanists there will be more discerning eyes cast this way.

5. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I just came to this thread. Pineapple sage was my first thought. It's such a lovely plant, but starts to flower so late in the season. It is just coming into bloom at the front entrance here. A good late flower for the humming birds I suppose.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  7. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

Thanks