Lupin species ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by abgardeneer, Jun 27, 2007.

1. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

I hope, with your help, to learn at long last the species name of a lupin that I've had for many years. It's most interesting characteristic is that it spreads by sending out yellow, ropy, horizontal roots, such that new plants poke up a couple of feet away. (I would have thought this would make it pretty easy to identify, but no luck when I posted it on a different forum some time ago! However, I'm sure someone here will know it.)
    I hope the photos are clear enough to show what one might need to see; if not, please ask questions, and I'll try to provide more description.
    Thanks in advance,
    Lori

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Where was it sourced from? A friend? Wild collected seed?

3. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

I bought it from a local plant restoration place (i.e. native plants), but I don't believe it resembles any lupin native to Alberta. I have a vague recollection that it may have been labelled as L. nootkatensis, but I don't believe it fits; also, I have recently bought another L. nootkatensis, which has different leaf structure.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I've tried to key it out as best I could using the Flora of Canada, and ended up with nothing special. Unfortunately, the Flora of Canada doesn't provide full descriptions of species, so finding out that a particular species is rhizomatous is hit-or-miss (only if it appears in the couplets in the key). The only one mentioned there is Lupinus perennis, which I don't think this is based on leaflet shape.

I've also looked at the Flora of Alberta - no mention of any rhizomatous species, so that was a dead end.

I also checked the Flora of the Great Plains to see what exists to the south - Lupinus plattensis is also rhizomatous, but again, leaflet shape is off.