Leaf identification?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dbookbinder, Jan 3, 2016.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

A few years ago, I was on this forum a lot asking the kind members here to help me identify the mostly common garden flowers I was using in a photography project (http://www.flowermandalas.org). Now I'm moving on from flowers to leaves, currently the dead and often disintegrating leaves I see as I walk from place to place. I'm hoping people here can help me identify those, too, or if not, point me to somewhere else that might be helpful. I'm afraid I'm as ignorant about trees as I was about flowers. I can tell a ginkgo from a maple, but that's about it!

Below are some of the images I've created so far. I'm working with the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi, which, as I understand it, accepts and sees the beauty in the life cycle of birth, growth, decay, and death -- the interrelationship of the garbage and the flowers. I'm starting with the "decay and death" part of the cycle.

Thanks for any leaf identification help you can provide!

Best,
    David

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Top row, left to right: Populus deltoides, Betula sp., Acer platanoides, Tilia sp.

Middle row: ?, Cornus sp., Tilia sp., Populus sp.

Bottom row: Populus grandidentata, Acer sp. (under).

It would help if there was a 15 cm ruler next to each leaf to show how large it is!

3. dbookbinder

Thank you! Yes, it would help, but unfortunately I shot these pictures long before I had any specific idea of how I might use them.

Any idea at all what the unidentified leaf on the left side of the second row, and the small leaf on top of the maple leaf on the right side of the third row might be? By "leaf on the left side of the second row," I mean the leaf depicted in the file 151104-135758_DMC-ZS25_1b_black_600x800.jpg. It's the fifth image, counting from the top left.

Thanks again,
    David

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. dbookbinder

Two more from this series. One of them, I realize, is so decayed it may be hard to identify.

Thanks!
    David

Attached Files:

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Could be Populus trichocarpa, but not certain. The small green leaf looks like another Populus species, but again not certain.

The two new ones are Platanus × hispanica and Acer platanoides.

6. dbookbinder

Thanks again, Michael.