Largest dahlia?

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Garry Oak, Sep 19, 2026.

  1. Garry Oak

    Garry Oak Active Member

    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    48
    Location:
    Nanoose Bay, BC
    Junglekeeper and togata57 like this.
  2. Michael F

    Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

    Messages:
    11,625
    Likes Received:
    609
    Location:
    Britain zone 8/9
    Dahlia imperialis can grow to 10 metres tall - one of the largest herbaceous plants around. Can't see that being grown successfully in a small pot!
     
    Garry Oak likes this.
  3. wcutler

    wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

    Messages:
    11,540
    Likes Received:
    2,643
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I was thinking "tree dahlia" when I read that, and I see Dahlia imperialis - Wikipedia gives that as a common name. The dahlia flower in the featured post, however, has more than twice the diameter of the largest that D. imperialis get, and the grower's plant is just supporting a single flower.
     
    Garry Oak likes this.

Share This Page