Kansas Wild Flower ID help!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by C.Wick, Jun 14, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

First 3 plants were found out in Perry Co. nature area at a roadside marker in NE Kansas. I've often visited this area for the unique beautiful variety of blooms and plants found here...not to mention the leg-less lizards and box turtles.
    The arrow leaf plant was growing in several bunches...no flowers...softly toothed undersides. The leaves were about a foot in height but could have been longer on some.
    The purple flower grew on tall grass-like stems. Several blooms could be found...sometimes 2 on one tip...but usually 1 to each branch. Leaf-lets were also grass-like going up the stem.
    The 2nd group of images reminded me of a recent ID post I submitted pertaining to the family including Pussy Foot flowers? Does anyone know this plant here...
    Also growing in this field in the spring were 2 varieties of iris, one was the Yellow Flag, and now there are several varieties of blanket flowers, cone-flowers, green milkweed and butterfly weed, and I know later in the summer there'll be Snow on the Mountian, teasel, and Gayfeather.
    The last solo plant that resembles a star was found in the woods behind this field...along the lake area. Each 'tine' was air tight and would 'pop' if squeezed. The star was about the size of a golf ball or smaller...growing on a a tall grass-like clump that resembled types of tall water grass. The plant stood about 2 feet, 4 feet in height at most? I found these about a month ago but couldn't see the stars anymore when I glanced into that area. It's now full of stinging nettles (which I don't like to play with).

Attached Files:

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

#1 looks like prickly lettuce, Lactuca scariola

3. tipularia

#2 looks like deptford pink, Dianthus armeria

4. tipularia

Next one maybe Dalea villosa

5. tipularia

Last one might be a sedge

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx!
    I think 1# is something else maybe? All the leaves connected at the base...none grew from a stem? Maybe the info I'm reading is not telling me everything? :o) These are also very soft...not a 'true' prickly.

2# DEFINATELY correct! thanx!!!!

3#? are there different varieties? The name you gave gives me a very dark bloom...these were all a very pale pink?

And wow...4# is the Common Sedge..or? those nasty cockleburs my son and I keep getting all over us when walking along the lake area edge.

7. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

#1 looks like Silphium laciniatum to me.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

The leaves definately seem to resemble Silphium laciniatum. I've a feeling this is a plant I'll just have to visit again to see how it grows as the info says they don't flower till later in the summer. Right area of the US, so this helps tons.
    Thanx for the help here!