Japan is home to the world's sweetest peach, and it just happens to grow in Fukushima

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Junglekeeper, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Who's to say that the ultimate value of a peach is its sweetness? What about flavour? If a peach with a Brix rating between 11 and 15 degrees fills you with joy, that's all that matters.

This $7,000 peach may appeal to people who believe 'only the best' is good enough for them whether it be fruit, coffee, wine or whatever. Often this is just a conceit for those who can afford the cost for products which can be enjoyed equally well at a lower price.

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Margot, good morning Margot, I couldn't agree more, very well said.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, I think the grower deserves a bit of allowance on this one. From the article:

Junglekeeper likes this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

I was shocked to see fruit prices in Japan the first time I visited. Even at regular shops. After that I read about it, and I now know that in Japan fruits are a luxury, often given as a gift, while vegetables are a necessity, relatively cheap at the store. The fruit, being a melon, an apple, or a bunch of grapes, is considered a piece of art, and it is always impeccable in appearance. My experience with Japanese fruit taste is disappointing. Even the super expensive stuff... Still looks beautiful, hands down...

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Please don’t get me wrong, I think Japan has it all figured out. If I can choose where to live right this moment, it will be Japan. Sadly, many everyday things come in the way of that dream. I will still continue to visit though, when all this pandemic horror is subdued.

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

Just an example:

Attached Files:

8. Junglekeeper

That part of the equation has been solved, it seems, and Mr. Furuyama is improving on that.
    As for the cost, perhaps it is not as outrageous as it appears if taken in context. The article does say such purchases are made on special occasions in that country. Farmers are simply providing products for a niche market.
    Perhaps a resident native could provide some insight on the matter. Any help, @eteinindia?
    I think the pursuit of excellence is admirable. We, as gardeners, can surely appreciate wanting to grow something spectacular that one can be proud of.

9. Junglekeeper

I can relate to this. Japan is indeed a country with very beautiful scenery. Unfortunately it is still a very much closed society.

10. Margot

I can relate to that sentiment and don't mean to quibble but, for myself, I am just as pleased with my un-spectacular garden. As I was saying above, it's not at all necessary to have the biggest or most beautiful/delicious/expensive things to derive great pleasure from others that are merely 'good'. I am proud of my garden but I don't aim to brag about it.

11. Junglekeeper

I totally agree but at the same time people like Mr. Furuyama should not be criticized for striving to achieve greater heights.

12. Margot

Not criticizing in the least; just pointing out that concepts of 'greatness' based on values of beauty, taste, expense, etc. are variable and subjective.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  13. Junglekeeper

wcutler likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have just read both links from Junglekeeper and tbh I find it really worrying. What next!!!

Hyper inflated prices on any food can only cause problems for the future of all foods.