Is this a BC native plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by akimbo, Apr 1, 2014.

1. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

This plant appeared in my garden with some native plants I collected during a salvage last year in Saanich B.C. I can't seem to find anything quite like in my Pojar McKinnon, and I wonder if it isn't the common, cerastium tomentosum, 'Snow in Summer'. There were a few garden escapees among the native plants on this site. The plant is still small but seems to have a low creeping nature. Did not flower last year.

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That reminds me of the growing tip of Anaphalis margaritacea (Pearly Everlasting) with its distinctive mid-vein on the leaves. It will be interesting to watch it grow this year to see if it maintains a low creeping habit or if it grows taller. Since Anaphalis spreads by rhizomes, it would be easy to pick up a bit of root when you collected other plants. If it IS Pearly Everlasting, a common BC native plant, be careful to place it where it will not spread where you don't want it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  3. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the leaves are similar. So far mine appears to have more of a creeping habit. Too bad. I would have liked to have some Pearly Everlasting.

4. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Could also be some Antennaria. It sprouts from seeds very well, as I found last year.

5. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Thanks Andrey. I think I might pot it up and keep it aside in case it turns out to be a native, but so far it has a more of prostrate than upright posture.

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Looking at the new shoots on my Anaphalis margaritacea, I think you are correct that your mystery plant is not Pearly Everlasting. Your mention of Cerastium tomentosum (Snow-in-Summer) made me wonder if you've checked the native Cerastium arvense (Field Chickweed). There are some good photos on E-Flora BC.

7. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Hmmm, Leaves are also hairy on the Cerastium tomentosum, but not grey/blue like mine. I think I will keep this in a pot and see what it becomes.