Invasive tree/bush/shrub problem

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by kwgrid, May 24, 2008.

1. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

I don't know which category to put this thing in due to its woody stalk and deep roots and bushy behavior. It's very invasive and difficult to remove permanently. It keeps coming back. Help!

[​IMG]

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Blackberry Rubus fruticosus.

3. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

Thank you so much!!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

I looked around on the internet concerning Blackberry and it's definitely that. I don't know which 'flavor,' but, as you say, it's definitely a Blackberry. :)

Thanks again.

6. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

For a chemical control, your basic lawn weed control products containing 2,4-D will work very well on it anytime during the growing season. Round will only be effective if used in the fall. I am not promoting the use of pesticides, just suggesting what is effective.

7. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

Are you familiar with a weed (plant) control product called "Kill-Zall"? The line of products is called Hi-Yield and is available at Farm and Garden shops. I'm wondering if that will work. I'm not sure I know what you mean by 2,4-D. If you're not familiar with Kill-Zall, would you mind explaining about the 2,4-D?

Thank you for your help.

Kalar

8. Ron B

2,4-D is an active ingredient used in more than one product. Kill-Zal would just be a marketing name for a herbicide product, perhaps even one containing 2,4-D. Similarly, the active ingredient in RoundUp is glyphosate.

9. jimweed

It seems Kill-Zall has the same active ingredient as Round Up (Glyphosate). This is a non-selective herbicide. Definitely not what would be considered to be your "basic lawn weed control product".

Like Ron says 2,4-D is the active ingredient in product that will be sold by a more common trade name. You will have to read labels. 2,4-D is a selective herbicide that you can spray across your lawn and selectively kill off all the broadleaf weeds without hurting the turf. That is why I mention to look for a lawn weed spray product.

Blackberry is a broad leaf weed and 2,4-D is an excellent control for this.

Kill-Zall / Round Up (Glyphosate) is mostly effective as a grassy weed killer, not as effective on healthy established broad leaf weeds.

jim

10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have found a very effective way to kill them. Cut them and pull the branches out and cut them into managable pieces. It is usually a few plants causing a big mess. Heap them to allow the leaves to fall for compost then if you are allowed to burn have a quick hot fire when the branches are tinder dry. Meanwhile have a small spray bottle made up with roundup for the wood weeds and spray the stumps when freshly cut. I left the stems about 1 foot long. After about a month I went back and sprayed any I had missed or had the nerve to try and resprout. Usually a sickly yellow. I have cleared about quater of an acre like this in thel ast 18 months. (Let my garden run out of control due to work) 2,4-D is a restricted chemical here so it is not easily available.
    Yours look like lovely soft ones not like the barbaric fairy tale keep the prince out variety that seems to grow here.
    Liz

11. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Thank you ever so much!!

Kalar

12. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

The advantage of glyphosate (in Round-Up, etc) is that it breaks down pretty quickly, and so is rather benign as herbicides go. If you're able to target just the enemy plants, for instance by hand-spraying, then it's not such a bad thing.

2,4-D on the other hand is more persistent in the environment, and I think is generally more nasty to living critters (including humans) who find themselves exposed to it, even indirectly. It was the main active ingredient in Agent Orange which was used for jungle defoliation in Vietnam. People dump tons of it on their lawns, so I guess it can't be all that deadly. But still.

13. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

Oh my stars above! No 2,4-D for me!!!!

Are you familiar with a herbicide called "Kill-Zall"? The product line is Hi-Yield. They have several different products. I use "Kill-Zall" to keep grasses out of a ditch next to my house (so water will flow better and there's no hiding place for snakes or other varmints. :) ) I also use it right along the fence line so that I don't have to weedeat. The sprayer has a fine stream to broad but I always use the fine stream so it only hits where I aim. :) However, a couple of times the sprayer button stuck and I walked away without noticing at first. I had a stripe in my St. Augustine grass for quite a while. :( Thankfully, it healed itself over time.

Thanks for all the great info!!!

14. Ron B

Note that glyphosate travels in water and is not supposed to be sprayed near open water, if you have the complete directions for the Kill-Zall it should say something about this.

15. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

I'll be sure and doublecheck it. Thanks for the heads-up.

16. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Mowing or "weedwhacking" works in the Fraser Valley BC, with no pesticide needed. Of course it has to be in an area you can get at & small enough to tackle. You will need to cut to ground level several times. It does sucker profusely after mowing, but don't despair - whack it again. In the second year, you should have pretty good control.

I personally prefer to use simple mechanical methods where practical...it's just another part of my gardening!

gb.

17. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree this is a good method. I actually use my goats to control the blackberries with in my paddocks and I have non. Just run 3 small ones and they are herbivour and love thistles as well. I found the garden problem was never more than about a dozen plants and their runners. So once the main ones are cut and either sprayed or dug out it becomes an easier process to control. I can't dig anymore (hip) hence the spray method with big restrictions. Oh elbow grease is also a good controller.

Liz

18. jimweed

Actually 2,4-D-5 was the main active ingredient used as a defoiliant in "Agent Orange" a highly toxic herbicide. Not even close to 2,4-D which is not known to be toxic to humans, bees, fish, wildlife, or even lawn fleas when applied at label rates. It also breaks down fast and is not known to leech more then 3 inches when mixed and applied at label rates. Not to sure why people think 2,4-D is so nasty?

19. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4,5-T), a synthetic auxin, is a chlorophenoxy acetic acid herbicide used to defoliate broad-leafed plants. It was developed in the late 1940s and was widely used in the agricultural industry until being phased out, starting in the late 1970s due to toxicity concerns. Agent Orange, a defoliant used by the U.S. in the Vietnam War, was equal parts 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D.

Above copied from Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic_acid

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  20. jimweed

Ty Salt: 2,4,5-T, I knew it was something like that. This product is similar to what is still used today call Paraquat. These are nasty herbicides with toxicity levels comparable to rat poisons. I knew 2,4-D was mixed with 2,4,5-T in Agent Orange but never understood why.

Because: 2,4,5-T defoliates what plants it hits in 12-24hrs. It does not allow the 2,4-D to absorb into the plant and translocate through it, which is how it works. How could the 2,4-D have served any purpose in this spray mixture?

Want my opinion?: The government officials stupid enough to allow these chemicals to be sprayed directly over humans were too stupid to know how herbicides even work. Sorry I just had to say that.

If someone does know how a translocative herbicide mixed with a defoliant has a benefit I would love to know, I have wondered why this mixture was used for a long time.

Kwgrid, my apologies for being so off track on your thread.

21. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Kill-Zall?
    What about the Sawzall?

My weapon of choice is Milwaulkee "Sawzall", armed with a green blade. It slices through the roots like a hot knife through butter. That was how we got rid of a stubborn patch of it in one corner of our property. We found out, after a number of years trying, that cutting off the top growth without removing all plant materials to root level is futile.

22. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I prefer 2-4-6-8-PPLGAH in conjunction with a brushcutter, mower, loppers or a local young-person, unless the area is too big or inacessible.

However there are implications to this method that need to be noted. 2-4-6-8 PPLGAH may produce caproic acids & a liquid exudate from human skin, particularly under the arms & in other fairly private parts of the body. It may contribute a small amount of hydrocarbons & carbon monoxide to the local atsmophere if used in conjunction with machinery & may deplete the local water resources by a litre or two (that's pints in the US - which are smaller & consequently have less of an impact). Weight loss, muscle fatigue & comments from strangers such as "You're a hottie!" are often experienced by users of this product...just a warning.

Oh, sorry. The product is 2-4-6-8-Pitter-patter-let's-get-at-her!

gb :)

23. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

That's kind of funny. My neighbor Dave up the road was just talking about this same thing -- taking a Sawzall to a dead lilac stump that sits right where his wife Maria wants to plant a weeping cherry. I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not.

I guess not.

24. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

LOL!!!!!!

25. kwgrid

kwgrid Member

No apologies necessary. I get kicks out of learning something new. :)