I need help with my plants!!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by chantibabi, May 6, 2014.

1. chantibabi

chantibabi New Member

Hi everyone!
    I just moved into a new home in March and to our surprise, we were lucky enough to inherit a nice little garden. Unfortunately, I have NO idea what a lot of the stuff in my garden is so I'm here to hopefully get some help on a few things!
    1. Is a green and very leafy plant. It has 2 different types of leaves and I'm assuming its a ground coverage plant. Its been here since before I moved in, so I assume its an annual plant. The vines are not prickly to the point of being hurtful but prickly enough to make it annoying to pick up. The roots are also very hardy. Thick light brown wood.

Pictures are below:

https://ask.extension.org/system/fi...8/904/20140506_123455_original.jpg?1399395061

https://ask.extension.org/system/fi...8/905/20140506_123520_original.jpg?1399395062

I also have a more than a few raised beds and in 3 of them, I'm finding this long leafed plant with a top that almost looks like a piece of corn. My boyfriend thought that it was wheat but I have googled and googled and couldn't find anything that actually resembled this.
    Pictures for this are also below:

https://ask.extension.org/system/fi...8/916/20140506_143144_original.jpg?1399401638

Anyone that can help me identify these two plants would make my life a little easier. I have already been surprised with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, 2 different types of mint, asparagus, and 4 trees, two of which are gala and 2 of which are still unknown! Along with lots of flowers and I'm sure there will be a lot more surprises in a few weeks. Lol Hopefully in a couple of months, I'll know what everything is and be able to label correctly. Thanks for your help!
    Chanti

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

The second one is most probably Acorus calamus. There is also N American species listed for Virginia, Acorus americanus.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Vine appears to be Humulus.

4. chantibabi

chantibabi New Member

Humulus has bud/flower type things that grow out of it. There are no blooms or flowers on this plant. The vines look as if there are buds but then they just end up being more leaves. :/

5. chantibabi

chantibabi New Member

I think you are right! Thanks bunches!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I agree with saltcedar.