Herbal leaf plant ~ what is it???

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by drhugo, Feb 2, 2009.

1. drhugo

drhugo Member

Can You Identify It? It is a a green leafy tall tropical plant (5m+) with bitter leaves that when chewed are claimed to have universal health benefits from curing cancer, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, treating diabetes and lots more. You may email me directly for full photos: archiadven@hotmail.com with the subject, Herbal Plant. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dr Hugo

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

May be Catha edulis? need pix?

4. lorax

And also could be Coca. Definitely need pix.

5. drhugo

drhugo Member

Thank you for your replies. Sorry, I am new to this site and didn't see the attachment button below. Here are a few photos of the plants growing in my tropical garden on Langkawi Island Malaysia. In the photos of single leaves, they are about 9" long. Hope this helps you identify it. God bless you. Dr Hugo

Attached Files:

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it doesn't look like Cathos edulis... still searching...

7. lorax

Not Khat or Coca either.

Does it have white flowers when it blooms?

8. drhugo

drhugo Member

Hello Lorax,
    Of all the plants of it that I have in the garden and seen elsewhere, I only have one with small white flower buds at the top but for a long time don't seem to have bloomed. Perhaps this is the female?? The photo (slightly unclear) is of the white flower buds. I will try and make another and post it up and keep watch to see if the flowers develop. Locally, this plant is known as the "South African herbal leaf plant." Thank you for your interest and I hope you can find some identification info for it in due course. Cheers! Dr Hugo

9. lorax

Cassine papillosa, Pittosporum viridiflorum, and Rapanea melanophloeos are all possible matches.... I'd lean towards Pittosporum, myself. Do you have the Malay name for it as well?

10. drhugo

drhugo Member

Hi Lorax, Thank you for your reply. I have not been able to find a Malay on the island who knows its name but I will keep on trying. The Chinese seem to be more familiar with it calling it as mentioned above. I'll look into the names you have given in the meantime. Please let me know if you find any other info on it. Cheers! Dr Hugo

11. drhugo

drhugo Member

Hi Lorax,
    Sorry, it does not appear that it is any of the following: Cassine papillosa, Pittosporum viridiflorum, or Rapanea melanophloeos as you suggested as the tree and leaves are so different from the above which I have checked details and photos of. Let's keep searching! Cheers! Dr Hugo

12. drhugo

drhugo Member

Here are some local names of the plant:
    The Chinese names are, in Cantonese, "Por See Yip" ("Persian Leaves"), and in Mandarin, "Lam Fei Yip" (South African Leaves".)
    Attached is a photo of the tiny flowers now coming out. Can anyone help with identifying the scientific name for this plant with miraculous healing qualities??
    Cheers! Dr Hugo

Attached Files:

13. lorax

The other option might be Warburgia salutaris (which doesn't seem quite right, since the leaves of your plant aren't glossy), or you could check out the list of medicinal plant monographs at PlantzAfrica.com

14. drhugo

drhugo Member

No, it's not a paperbark tree! One other Chinese name for it is: "Hark Meen Jeong Kuan." Chinese Feng Shui masters are familiar with it but nobody else seems to know about it and its incredible healing and antioxidant properties. Tea is also made from it as well as chewing the fresh leaves.

15. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Vernonia might be a starting place.

HTH
    Chris

16. drhugo

drhugo Member

Vernonia has purple flowers, not tiny white ones as in the photos attached. Any more ideas??

Attached Files:

17. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

18. drhugo

drhugo Member

The local Malay name for the plant is, "Sambung Nyawa" which translates as "Life Connection" probably referring to its "longevity" health benefits. Let's know if anyone can find any more info on this wonderful plant that seems only to be known in Malaysia and Singapore. Cheers! Dr Hugo

19. lorax

Gynura procumbens

20. kasman

kasman Member

drhugo, i don't think it is "sambung nyawa", i have some plants of sambung nyawa and it don't look the seem as your plant. i'll post some pics of it for you next couple days (i haven't taken any photo of it yet)..

21. drhugo

drhugo Member

Thank you Lorax. Kasman, at this stage it seems that it really is Gynura Procumbens which is "Sambung Nyawa" as it grows here in Malaysia. Perhaps there is a slightly different variety in Indonesia, or the name there refers to a different plant altogether. What do you think Lorax? Aren't they one and the same! Cheers! Dr Hugo

22. lorax

I'd say we've got a good match. I wouldn't have suggested it at this point if it weren't.

23. drhugo

drhugo Member

I agree ~ there are so many websites dealing with the plant and use the two names synomously. At least now, we know what we are chewing! And we can refer to the various laboratory analyses etc that have isolated the active phytochemiclas responsible for the health benefits. Thanks again Lorax and Cheers!

24. kasman

kasman Member

drhugo, attached here some pics of my "Sambung Nyawa"....
    sambung nyawa's succulant stem looks rather red-browish and the height of this plant only can reached about 0.5 meters, the foliage are very fragile and have good smell...

Attached Files:

• s0.jpg
      s0.jpg
      File size:
      87.1 KB
      Views:
    • s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      87.1 KB
      Views:
    • s2.jpg
      s2.jpg
      File size:
      78 KB
      Views:
    • s3.jpg
      s3.jpg
      File size:
      146.1 KB
      Views:
    • s4.jpg
      s4.jpg
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
    • s5.jpg
      s5.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  25. drhugo

drhugo Member

Terima kasih Kasman. Mungkin ada banyak macam jenis "Sambung Jawa." Maybe there are many varieties, or at least two. The leaves look similar. Bentuk daun hampir sama. But ours grow to 5 or 6 metres easily ~ jauh lebih tinnggi! Do you classify your SJ as Gynura procumbens also? Sampai jumpa lagi! Dr Hugo
    PS: Let me know if anyone is interested in setting up a trade in dried GP leaves as special "health tea" with its proven nutritional, diseaes defeating, antioxidant and healing benefits. We have many growing in our garden and around the island which we can harvest, sun-dry and export if anyone wishes?? Cheers!