Help with 2 hostas

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Atichoo, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Atichoo

Atichoo Member

Hi fellow gardeners,
    I bought 2 hostas in the sad plants sections. One at the UBC Garden Shop and the other one at Garden Works in Burnaby. Those are both hostas I know but now that they are showing up I really doubt they are who they presented to be :-)
    Does anybody have Hosta Krossa Regal and Hosta Flemish Sky in their garden and could kindly take a picture so that I can compare with my little buddies here ?
    I know very well what they will look like once fully developed but for now I have no idea and this is not looking good.
    Also has anybody had experience with incorrect labelling of plants in either of those 2 places ?
    Thank you so much

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are some hosta photos here that may help.
    HOSTA LIBRARY
    Have seen incorrect labelling at many retail nurseries, but much less so at the better outlets with knowledgable staff. Mistakes happen.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. Atichoo

Atichoo Member

Thank you ! I knew that website but couldn't remember the name.
    Although they never show the shoots from spring. And my problem is if it is Krossa Regal it will be quite huge and I have to choose the container accordingly.
    But if it is not, as I fear, I will have no idea what it is and can't choose a container :-)
    That's why somebody having one of those in BC right now would be helpful for me to determine their true identity !

4. chimera

093.JPG 094.JPG 095.JPG

This is labelled as 'Krossa Regal' and came from a bigbox store.

5. Atichoo

Atichoo Member

Thank you very much ! That helps a lot. I'm almost convinced it really is Krossa Regal although the one I had back in Montreal was absolutely huge.
    image.jpg

But where I am still really not convinced is that this one is supposed to be Flemish Sky
    image.jpg

And Flemish Sky is supposed to look like that :
    image.jpeg

Can you see why I am skeptical ?

:-)

6. chimera

Yes, I'd tend to agree. Maybe the 'Krossa Regal', if correct, is just a small young division.