Help identify evergreen shrub

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Ryles, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Ryles

Ryles Member

any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Rhododendron.

3. S.S

S.S Member

The flower looks to be a Rhodedendron or Azalea indica of sort there are many names given to the different colours, single, semi-double, double etc., types of Azalea and I wouldn't like to guess the name of the one in your picture. I recommend regular deadheading to avoid petal blight, a fungus which damges flowers and forming buds. Planting in a morning sun (out of the heat of the day), will reduce this as it dries the old flowers out rather than allowing them to become soft and 'mushy'. Don't spray plant while watering either if avoidable, at least while flowering.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What time of year was this taken? Just recently? If so, there should be few enough Rhododendrons in bloom right now that a visit to Washington Park Arboretum might be able to turn up the exact species or cultivar (if no one else pipes in with it on here).

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Resembles Rhododendron catawbiense, if not that one then one of various garden hybrids derived from it.

6. Ryles

Ryles Member

Oh, well it was taken last spring around late march so I could go and take a look then, yeah. Thanks for the info guys.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah... late March. Well, my advice doesn't hold then. Right now is just the beginning of Rhododendron season and comparisons are easy. Late March? Hundreds and hundreds of possibilities.

8. Ryles

Ryles Member

oh, well....at least I know where to look. Thanks

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Timing not consistent with R. catawbiense.